turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

I accidentally filed the non-filer form on IRS's webpage thinking it was just for people who haven't file the 2019 tax return to submit banking information. Now I'm not able to e-file my tax. I've seen both suggestions of filing by paper and filing an amend tax. I'm confused about which one should I do now. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When using the non-filer system on the IRS website, your information is processed by the IRS as an original filed return. 

Any subsequent filing submitted electronically will be rejected and must be mailed to the IRS for processing. 

You can do this in a couple of different ways: 

• You can create and file an amended return with Form 1040X, which will be processed by the IRS as an amended return. 
  • Or, you can complete your Form 1040 information using TurboTax and include a cover letter with the return to explain that you completed the non-filer registration for the stimulus check and that this is your correct tax return.  Instead of the cover letter, you can also write '1040X Amended Return' on the top of your Form 1040 before you sign and mail it.

Don't forget that when you mail a paper return to the IRS, you must include copies of your W-2s and 1099s, plus you need to sign and date the return.  

Internal Revenue Manual 21.5.3.4 General Claims procedures states that ‘an informal written inquiry that includes everything necessary to input a correct adjustment’ will be processed.

@eunos2345

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

160 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When using the non-filer system on the IRS website, your information is processed by the IRS as an original filed return. 

Any subsequent filing submitted electronically will be rejected and must be mailed to the IRS for processing. 

You can do this in a couple of different ways: 

• You can create and file an amended return with Form 1040X, which will be processed by the IRS as an amended return. 
  • Or, you can complete your Form 1040 information using TurboTax and include a cover letter with the return to explain that you completed the non-filer registration for the stimulus check and that this is your correct tax return.  Instead of the cover letter, you can also write '1040X Amended Return' on the top of your Form 1040 before you sign and mail it.

Don't forget that when you mail a paper return to the IRS, you must include copies of your W-2s and 1099s, plus you need to sign and date the return.  

Internal Revenue Manual 21.5.3.4 General Claims procedures states that ‘an informal written inquiry that includes everything necessary to input a correct adjustment’ will be processed.

@eunos2345

Thank you for your answer!

I feel like to file 1040 by mail is easier since all the paper is ready to go while to file the amended 1040X would request further steps. Is there any disadvantage of filing 1040 over 1040X? Also, do I need to include W-2s and 1099s for state return as well?

Thanks!

@AnnetteB6 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

No, there is no disadvantage of filing the Form 1040 (with either the notation at the top or a cover letter) over filing the Form 1040X.  Either one will accomplish the task.  

Yes, you will need to include copies of your W-2s and 1099s for your state return since it will also be filed by mail.

@eunos2345

Thanks a lot, i did the same mistake when i was checking for stimulus package, there was not enough information by whom it can be filled. I filled it and my e-file got reject. Then i sent 1040 mail but forgot to sign. 

Can i send again with signature and cover letter explaining the mistake?

Thanks a lot!

Another quick question, should I go ahead and mail the forms now or wait until the Non-filer form got process?

@AnnetteB6 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You can go ahead and mail the tax return now.  Processing your tax return is different than processing your stimulus payment.  

Since the return is being filed by mail, it normally takes up to 16 weeks to process.  But, this is not a normal situation and the IRS is not processing mailed returns right now.  The bottom line is that you will need to be extra patient when waiting for your tax return to be processed.  

@eunos2345

I also in error filled out the non-filer and got an accepted email. We had mailed in our return a few weeks before I filled out the non-filer info online. I saw a message that mailed returns were not being processed so thought I had to fill out the non-filer. Will this delay our stimulus payment? We paid in last year and are getting a very small refund this year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I accidentally filed a nonfiler....I am in college and pay for it myself, but a family member just told me that I have been claimed as a dependent already and that I have now messed up everything for them. Is there any way I can delete the form or cancel the request? The whole point was for me to get the stimulus check. 

Hello, Ok so I accidentally filed a non filer with turbotax and it was accepted
not knowing my 2019 taxed had already been sent out by a family member.
So my 2019 paper taxes are filed and returned and i have copies of them now
But i have no idea what to amend or fix to still get the 1200?

Another question, I owe to IRS and going to do paper filing. Do i need to wait they accept it or I need to pay them right away? I am planning to pay by online.

Please need urgent suggestion.

I made the non filer mistake as well. 2019 efile return was rejected due to duplicate ssn'n. 

I'm hoping the irs see's that this is a sizeable problem and offer some recourse for those of us who filed out the non filer by mistake but still need to file for our 2019 tax refunds.

Waiting to see may be quicker than sending in a paper return right now.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

If you file your return with a Form 1040X it will be processed like an amended return. 

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.

Right now the IRS is not processing paper returns, but there will be no way for your to efile, so this is your only option.  Be prepared for a longer than usual processing time.

Another question, I owe to IRS and going to do paper filing. Do i need to wait they accept it or I need to pay them right away? I am planning to pay by online.

Please need urgent suggestion.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are going to pay on line, just make sure you pay on or before July 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies