Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 efile option for direct deposit loops forever

When I select Federal efile and choose direct deposit (for my refund, both in Forms-mode and Easy-Step), it loops on that prompt... ultimately, I just changed it to "mail my refund in a check", efile proceeded successfully!  My big complaint is that this forum is the ONLY way to report a "bug" in the program!  (In my  IT career, I did function-test, system-test and direct customer tech support; I drove down each possible path and discovered that efile & mail-me-refund-check, OR print-file the return worked fine; it's e-file & direct deposit that fails).  All this was TurboTax for Mac download/desktop product for 2021 tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ Don-F wrote:

When I select Federal efile and choose direct deposit (for my refund, both in Forms-mode and Easy-Step), it loops on that prompt... ultimately, I just changed it to "mail my refund in a check", efile proceeded successfully!  My big complaint is that this forum is the ONLY way to report a "bug" in the program!  (In my  IT career, I did function-test, system-test and direct customer tech support; I drove down each possible path and discovered that efile & mail-me-refund-check, OR print-file the return worked fine; it's e-file & direct deposit that fails).  All this was TurboTax for Mac download/desktop product for 2021 tax return.

EDITED:   10/24/2022 at 12:01 AM Pacific

Sorry you had that frustrating experience.  I'm a fellow user, don't work for TurboTax, and don't use a Mac.  By looping are you saying when you choose "direct deposit", it doesn't even expand that section at all to open the direct deposit input fields?    For example, when I select direct deposit, the screen expands.  Do you get an image similar to what I've posted below?  Or does it fail to expand at all?

In the Windows version,  I can reproduce a looping back to the refund-choice screen (or it might actually be a failure to proceed) if I input an invalid routing number, in which case I get an error notice way down near the bottom of the screen that is hard to notice (see image below.)   So if I click "continue", it loops back to the refund-choice screen or won't let me proceed.   I'm not saying that's what happened to you.   I'm only saying what I have to do to reproduce it in the Windows version.    It does the same thing on that screen if I enter the invalid routing number in Forms Mode or if I enter it in step-by-step mode directly on that screen.

Here's an image of what I get when I purposely enter an invalid routing number:

directdeposit.png

Also (and this may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing), some large banks in some states use a different routing number for electronic deposits than the one shown for paper deposits on a check.  Sometimes that second routing number (ACH routing) is displayed on the check, but might not be.  It's a moot point now that you've successfully efiled, but to try to figure out what might have happened I'd verify with the bank the proper ACH routing number to use for electronic deposits, or you may be able to find it by logging into your Online Banking account details.   Again, that may or may not be the cause in your situation.

As for it being a "bug", with the huge number of people using TurboTax, this is not a common question in the forum (at least in my experience).  If it were a widespread issue, I would expect a lot more users to have posted about it.  

Again, I don't know if there's something else related to the Mac version that can cause it.

Someone else may also comment here in the user forum during the day on Monday. 

If you'd like to speak to TurboTax Customer Support about this issue, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/contact

View solution in original post

Thanks mesquitebean for your prompt & thorough response!  As I filed on the last possible date (and didn’t see your reply ‘til the next day) I could not go back to replicate for a screenshot.  I can say I did recheck (using forms option, InfoWks entry) for correct RTN & account # — same bank & account I’ve used the last 10 years, and IIRC they were correct on the screen as in your example… and there was no error message at all, it just loops back to initial prompt for EZ-step choice for refund processing. when I choose direct deposit it did expand with the correct #s, but fails to proceed when I click “Continue” (it loops back to initial page display with no error message).  I just e-filed it with paper check selection and the whole process ran to completion (submitted & accepted all done on 10/17). Thank goodness the deadline was handled ok!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

@ Don-F wrote:

EDITED:   10/24/2022 at 12:01 AM Pacific

Sorry you had that frustrating experience.  I'm a fellow user, don't work for TurboTax, and don't use a Mac.  By looping are you saying when you choose "direct deposit", it doesn't even expand that section at all to open the direct deposit input fields?    For example, when I select direct deposit, the screen expands.  Do you get an image similar to what I've posted below?  Or does it fail to expand at all?

In the Windows version,  I can reproduce a looping back to the refund-choice screen (or it might actually be a failure to proceed) if I input an invalid routing number, in which case I get an error notice way down near the bottom of the screen that is hard to notice (see image below.)   So if I click "continue", it loops back to the refund-choice screen or won't let me proceed.   I'm not saying that's what happened to you.   I'm only saying what I have to do to reproduce it in the Windows version.    It does the same thing on that screen if I enter the invalid routing number in Forms Mode or if I enter it in step-by-step mode directly on that screen.

Here's an image of what I get when I purposely enter an invalid routing number:

directdeposit.png

Also (and this may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing), some large banks in some states use a different routing number for electronic deposits than the one shown for paper deposits on a check.  Sometimes that second routing number (ACH routing) is displayed on the check, but might not be.  It's a moot point now that you've successfully efiled, but to try to figure out what might have happened I'd verify with the bank the proper ACH routing number to use for electronic deposits, or you may be able to find it by logging into your Online Banking account details.   Again, that may or may not be the cause in your situation.

As for it being a "bug", with the huge number of people using TurboTax, this is not a common question in the forum (at least in my experience).  If it were a widespread issue, I would expect a lot more users to have posted about it.  

Again, I don't know if there's something else related to the Mac version that can cause it.

Someone else may also comment here in the user forum during the day on Monday. 

If you'd like to speak to TurboTax Customer Support about this issue, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/contact

ADDENDUM:

You said you were able to efile, but I can't tell from your posting when you actually efiled.   After efiling, have you received an email stating that the efile was transmitted OK?   And have you received a second email saying it was accepted or rejected?   Or when you check the efile status within your software, does it show as pending, accepted, or rejected?

If this was for an amended return then getting a paper check for the refund is your only option that's available. Trying to choose direct deposit will be rejected hence this could explain the loop you seem to be experiencing.

Nope, not an amended return; I was on an extension, did latest update, double checked my RTN & account #’s; did not notice any error message… 

Thanks mesquitebean for your prompt & thorough response!  As I filed on the last possible date (and didn’t see your reply ‘til the next day) I could not go back to replicate for a screenshot.  I can say I did recheck (using forms option, InfoWks entry) for correct RTN & account # — same bank & account I’ve used the last 10 years, and IIRC they were correct on the screen as in your example… and there was no error message at all, it just loops back to initial prompt for EZ-step choice for refund processing. when I choose direct deposit it did expand with the correct #s, but fails to proceed when I click “Continue” (it loops back to initial page display with no error message).  I just e-filed it with paper check selection and the whole process ran to completion (submitted & accepted all done on 10/17). Thank goodness the deadline was handled ok!

You're welcome.  Sorry I don't have anything else to explain it.   At least you were able to efile.   A mailed paper return can take over 6 months just to start processing at the IRS.

I assume your efile has been accepted by now (hopefully.)  If so, you can follow the return status at the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Yeppers, submitted and accepted…

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies