turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Return was rejected

Just tried to file my 2020 return.  It was immediately rejected.  It stated that either my SS# didn't match or the IRS had already accepted a return for that SS# (which it hasn't - I checked the IRS.gov site).  The exact text is below**.   I wonder if the problem has to do with the fact that my 2019 AMENDED RETURN has not been processed yet?  I filed that (by mail) back in March of 2021 and it STILL is in limbo (mail receipt shows they have it).  When I e-filed this 2020 return just today, I entered last year's AGI from the amended return - so I wonder if that may be the problem?  Even though the reject code says nothing about a mismatched AGI.  Should I try again with the AGI from the original return from 2019, since that's the only number the IRS has on file at present?  Any other suggestions?

** If "Amended Return" checkbox is not checked, then taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. This return was rejected by the IRS bec ause the taxpayer's id number assigned to this return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS> Please verify that you have accurately entered the taxpayer's SSN or TIN and make corrections if required. If no errors have bene made in the entry of the taxpayer's SSN it may be necessary to contact the IRS... (yeah right, impossible to get a person, I've tried numerous times to find out about my amended return). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

2020 Return was rejected

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2019 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2019 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

Or—-if you filed as a “non-filer” just to get the stimulus check on a 2019 return, try using $1 as the AGI.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2020 Return was rejected

I just tried it again, but this time used the AGI on the original 2019 return (since my 2019 Amended return is caught up in the BACKLOG).  We'll see.  I did notice on 2nd filing that in very tiny print it said not to use AGI from an amended return.  Boy TurboTax can improve instructions if you ask me!

Stay tuned....

2020 Return was rejected

it is entirely possible that someone filed using your SSN. a transcript or even record that a 2020 return may not show up for 2-3 weeks after it is fully processed.

you can try 0 as AGI but an AGI problem is inconsistent with the rejection message you got which points to an SSN and not an AGI issue.  perhaps wait till tomorrow and try to e-file.  continued rejection means you'll have to file by mail. you may want to enclose an identity theft affidavit form 14039

2020 Return was rejected

So, it turns out someone DID file a tax return as me, a few weeks ago.  The IRS had "flagged" it, and luckily I called and reached a person who went through an extensive verification, and then advised me of this situation.  I have to file by mail, so it will be likely many months before I see my refund.  Supposedly a letter was mailed to me by the IRS about this situation on 8/15, but it has not arrived yet (and we are 9/1/21).  Thanks for your help all. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies