turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

I received a letter from the IRS. Form 1099-INT  It has total interested paid or credited of $12.84

On the bottom is states: "THIS IS NOT A TAX BILL.  It shows the taxable interest paid to you during the calendar year by the Internal Revenue Service.  If you are required to file a tax return , report this interest as income on your tax return.  This amount may represent interest on an over payment for more than one year, or more than one kind of tax.  This interest may have been paid with your tax refund or part or all may have been applied against other taxes paid."

What does this mean, and where do i enter in the information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

Enter it as a 1099-INT.  Type    1099-INT   into the search box, put IRS as the payer and put the interest in Box 1. That's all you have to do.

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

I have, received the same letter this year. What if I already filled what do I do? 

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. Which won't be until Feb 12 this year. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

hi I have received the same thing, so I don't have to wait or request the IRS to send me a 1099 INT to get the info i need to file my tax return right? I just have to write IRS as the payer, and the amount that was credited to me? thank you 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

@ray8guitar Yes, that's correct. Click this link for info on How to Enter IRS Interest

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

I received one of these for the first time this year. It came from the Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in Austin Texas and has the zip code. But does not have a street address on the form. When I google the facility with the zip there’s no street address for it on their either but turbo tax says I must enter an address in order to file. I called the irs and they told me most facilities doesn’t have a address listed and to just leave it as is. So should I put N/A for the street name? I have the city state and zip listed. Just don’t want to mess anything up. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

Yes, the Post Office just uses the zip code to deliver the mail to that office (yes, they have the whole zip code). So just enter N/A or whatever works. The street address will not matter; the only thing that matters is you being able to get past the filter in TurboTax.

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

Delete that 1099 and manually enter one with just the name IRS and put the interest amount in box 1.  You don't need to enter all that info on the form.

Gjanz

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

I tried to do this as well, as the letter (not a form) says 1099 -int along the side. However, it won't let me file my taxes without the"payers" street address.

Help?! @BillM223 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

You should enter a street address, example  'Interest Street' or 'IRS Street' any such street to resolve the error.  The IRS has a copy of the letter and it is will become attached to your file. This will not interfere with filing your tax return or cause any issue at the IRS.  The entry of specific forms is a convenience to create an easy way for returns to be prepared.

@Gjanz

hrubi005
Returning Member

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

I received the same letter stating I have total interest paid or credited (but can't tell which one) and I never received the interest payment or had to pay a credit. How do I go about handling something like that? Should I have received a check or something or a direct deposit? If so, what do I do if I never received it?

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

For how much?   It was probably added to your refund last year.    The IRS took so long to process returns they paid interest on it. You need to report it as interest income.

hrubi005
Returning Member

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

$30.22,  but based on what I have read it should have been paid separately. Did others have theirs lumped into their return? Is there a way to validate if it was?

1099-int (rev. 10-2013)

Yes I got the $5 interest added to my refund.   Check your 2020 tax return refund and your deposit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies