turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Oops! It appears there was a drop in our connection." comes up anytime I try to do anything on TurboTax. I have used multiple browsers, devices, and internet connections.

Yep I can get in now as well. Its incredibly slow though, especially the brokerage information. Hopefully when I do my last upload it doesn't trash it again or we'll be back to this again. 

Oops! It appears there was a drop in our connection." comes up anytime I try to do anything on TurboTax. I have used multiple browsers, devices, and internet connections.

I was able to get back into my account too but when I tried to import the info from my brokerage account (TD Ameritrade) the error message appeared again and it doesn’t go away so I’m back to the same issue.

I actually remembered I needed to add my Robinhood information to my account, did that and now it won't work again either! Wow, worst technology I've seen in a long time. 

tubamorg

I am getting this problem too.  Things were going ok until I tried to import 1099 forms from my financial institution.

tubamorg

Problem is, some of us don't wish to be exposed to the twitter sewer.

tubamorg

Ok, one thing I've tried that sort of helps get things moving again using Chrome browser.  I open Developer Tools, and once that is open if you hold down the Reload button one of the options is Empty Cache and Hard Reload.  This seems to unstop it and get things moving again.  Good luck to the rest of you tax payers!

aa175091
Returning Member

This could possibly be a firewall issue as well.

Anyone who read this thread would have never said that, and or anyone who understands what happened. Turbo Tax themselves had the problem and fixed it. It had nothing to do with users. 

davidanderson5033
Returning Member

April 5, 2021

in TX cannot even login to turbotax. Hits cannot find us-east server.

Been this way for 5 days. Are you guys going out of business? I buy both personal and business premier but will have to bite the bullet and change if you cannot resolve quickly

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

And pay $30 to talk to them. Blackmail.

You are apparently using an online version.  The download or CD versions do not need to be connected to the internet unless/until you file electronically.   Since TurboTax confirms this issue, ask them to give you a download version.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Without the online feature it is a Window 3.1 antique; a low value paper form in a typewriter.

You misunderstood me.  There is a big difference between using TurboTax online version and a download or CD version.  In the online version you are working "in the cloud", on their server, and subject to wifi and network glitches, etc.  Your computer is just acting as a connection, but neither the program nor the data is stored there. 

The download or CD version is the same program, but  the whole thing is on your computer: program + data, and you are working independently of the internet until you e-file.    And you can access the program, print out forms, etc.  even if you are off line.   

Finally i was able to file.

I had spent month and a half wrestling with customer support, 50 plus hours on phone and finally after going through creation of 2 additional online accounts and attempting wiith 2 different versions of desktop 

First the bad news - once you encounter this error and if there is no way to clear and start over or upgrade, the account is mostly likely a junk for this year filing as they cannot clean it up for you.

Here is my experience -

After importing almost 5k brokerage transactions and connecting coinbase pro api to turbotax, i decided to carry on next day. The next day "pick up where i left off" button used to log me out, clicking on any link will log me out of online turbotax. Later turned into oops message. Wasted 7 days trying to resolve through customer support calls and sign up for updates.

Later they suggested desktop product. Problem with that is it cannot import the large 5k transactions, wasted 2 weeks trying to type in manually. Desktop version will start crashing somewhere around 1400 transactions but will let you continue, but after 2115 transactions it will crash every single time, also calculations will be messed up, Another problem is no crypto support for automatic imports, so returned it.

Started with creation of new account again as first account was toast for this year. This time around i got the oops error after connecting coinbase pro api with turbotax. So my guess is that is where the problem is. So second account is toast.

So created 3rd account, imported 5k stock transactions but for crypto entered them manually with summarized sales. you can use free link of cryptotradertax.io to generate excel in the proper format but still turbotax will reject it for some reason. so typed it and everything was fine i thought.

Finally because you use new account to file, they will put you on 48 hour hold when you attempt to file. So you have to wait for that hold to expire. Then file again. Now it will throw a new issue during transmission - unable to save return so efile will not be successful.

Again after contacting turbotax and after trying all the debugging steps, they will give you a desktop version for free to try but that also will crash when you attempt to file due to large file size.

Finally , the only way to solve is note down the calculation of stock sales from earlier import (proceeds,costbasis,adjustments etc) and break it down into 30 or so equal transactions and type it in manually and delete the imported 5k transactions. This was done with a tax expert as a last step as turbotax cannot handle 5k transactions (even though it says 10k) and causes the return file to become big which will prevent you from efiling or even printing for mail return.

Finally file size issue resolved, 48 hour hold on new account is resolved, oops error is resolved and able to submit. 

i had also gone through mac, windows, chrome ,edge ,safari, phone app, wireless, wired connection, clearing cache cookies, restarting modem, trying through hotspot connection, answering questions and convinving them it is not my internet, no popup blockers, no firewall blockers, trying out manual mail filing (errors on download) etc. tried online and desktop versions. All this because customer support will want to go through those steps no matter what for making sure it is not something else. so after all that pain , they were convinced and finally agreed it is a file size issue and they have a problem with large stock transactions... Hope this helps in case you are waiting still trying to find a solution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies