Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to amend my 2021 return using turbotax cd version but there is an issue with software. it is showing amount due even without making any amendment

I realized a mistake in my 2021 return and need to amend return . I am using the same turbotax software from whre i filed return with no information change and the second I click on amend return , it should show $0 for federal and $0 for state before I start making any amendment. 

Spoke to Turbo Tax software help and I was on phone with them over 2 hours they realized that it is a bug in software but they couldnt resolve the issue nor they got further help from backend. 

Even if I take the pdf of amendment without making any change it is showing on top page that I owe money to IRS but in 1040-x there is nothing owed because I didn't make any change yet. 

I need help from Turbo Tax professionals. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Need to amend my 2021 return using turbotax cd version but there is an issue with software. it is showing amount due even without making any amendment

When doing an amended return, the meter should reset to zero (if proper amend steps are done) and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund showed on your originally filed tax return. 

Amended returns have to be printed and mailed. They can't be e-filed per IRS regulation. It is recommended to wait until the IRS has accepted your initial return and you have received your federal refund before you amend the return. If you've closed out your amended return, use the steps below to print a copy to mail. We highly recommend you save a copy for your own records in case you need it again in the future.

You can click here for steps on how to amend. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Once you mail an amended return, it can take up to 3 weeks before it shows up in the IRS's system. So give it that amount of time before you start checking for any updates on it. After 3 weeks, you can check the status here https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed once they receive it. And you can find a list of frequently asked questions, about amended returns, here https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. For me reset is not happening correctly. It is still adding the initial random amount owed  plus whatever after the amendment i owed is getting added. Its definitely a bug in software.

If i take the print out of return on the turbo tax page and 1040-v for payment incorrect amount (random amount + actual due) is getting displayed but on actual 1040-x it is displayed correct amount which i owe.

Please suggest how to fix the amount on first page which is turbotax page with mail in information and 1040-v. Incorrect amount also comes up if i select auto debit from bank instead of 1040-v form 

For me its not resetting odd numbers for federal. I tried multiple times. Its definitely a bug in software. I am getting the same answer as you replied with but its not resolving my issue.

Can Turbo tax technical support reach out to me over phone so that I can screenshre with them to show the problem. I already shown the issue to one of your representative and she agreed that it is an issue with the software and tried to take help from backend but no one responded her from backend while we waited for almost 2 hours for seeking the resolution and finally disconnected phone. 

Please help.

you can't use electronic funds withdrawal with form 1040-X

you can toss in the waste basket any 1040-V that is wrong.

The summary page is irrelevant.

It is only the 1040-X that matters.

the easiest way to pay is from your checking account at www.irs.gov/payments.

The question is, why did Customer Support not tell you this.?

There is definitely something wrong with the Amendment function.  Mine shows a balance due even before I make any changes.  In addition, all of the 'original amounts' in column A on the 1040-X are incorrect.  Finally, since I overpaid on the original, accepted, e-filing, I would expect a refund, but instead it still shows I owe money to both Fed and State.  I can see that the total tax amount has been fixed on the Fed form, but the amount owed is wrong since it should be a credit.  Intuit, fix this ASAP please.

Have you run a software update?

It runs an update at startup and it says it is up to date.

At startup TurboTax puts the original amounts in Col C not Col A.

This is another behavior you can ignore.

Only the final result on Form 1040-X matters.

review it carefully before you SUBMIT it.

But the comparison is between the originally paid taxes in Col A to the new calculations in Col C.  Since the starting numbers in Col A are incorrect, so is the assumed previously paid amount, which in turn assumes I under paid and still owe, which is incorrect. 

I need to amend my 2021 tax. I cannot find an icon to begin.

I have this same issue.   The original return showed a refund.  Upon entering 1040X amendment, BEFORE I MAKE ANY CHANGES WHATSOEVER...  it changes to TAX OWED and shows incorrect amounts in Col A (Original filing amount); adds an arbitrary number in Col B that I have no clue where it came from.

I need tech support to help resolve this please.

" no clue where it came from."

Column B is a calculated field, it is the difference between Col A and Col C.

----

tax owed BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES -- not important.

tax owed AFTER YOU MAKE ALL REQUIRED CHANGES -- important

@saviorconnection 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies