Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

r4christ

My W-2 box 1 has nothing in it. Turbo Tax is asking me to put down the amount of box 1 dto download the W-2, do I just put down 0.00 ?

Difficulty of Car exemption
r4christ

My W-2 box 1 has nothing in it. Turbo Tax is asking me to put down the amount of box 1 dto download the W-2, do I just put down 0.00 ?

"care" ... lol
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I'm not following you. If you have nothing in Box 1, there'd be very little likelihood that you should be trying to input this W2.
r4christ

Wow, so don't enter it at all... last year I did have an amount and entered it, but things have changed.... So when Turbo asks me if I should download last years info to get this years W-2 info, I should cancel that action and not report the W-2 at all? I just want to be clear....
BCRinFremont
Returning Member

I received one of these blank W2s this year with the only info on the W2 (besides EIN and address of Employer, Employee name and State Employer ID) being a $.06 amount for CA SDI in Box 14.  This W2 relates to a class action lawsuit settlement.  A note with the W2 states, "California's Employment Development Department requires separate reporting for State Disability Tax (SDI), which is reported under Defendant's Tax ID.  The remaining taxes withheld from your settlement payment are reported under the settlement fund's Tax ID."  I did receive a separate W2 from the Settlement Fund which was filled in and under a different Employer ID.  

This $0.06 W2, which rounds to zero, will not allow the tax form to e-file.  C'mon Man!

BCRinFremont
Returning Member

This is the best advice I've seen so far.  Thoughtful and salient.  

angelluo88
Returning Member

I have the same issue. But my case has zero income on box 1 is because I am taking care the older who lives with me. The IHHS payment doesn’t require to report as income in that case. Only to avoid Federal tax still need to pay others. My option is to mail in the tax return instead of e-file.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure what you mean to pay others.  The W2 form reported what needed to be reported to Social Security to log the income in your account.  A zero in box 1 means you do not need to report the W2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cray0n

I called the organization who issued W-2 form with blank Box1 to me, and they said this W-2 still have to be reported to IRS despite blank Box1

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Are you an IHSS provider?  Your earnings while exempt from income tax may be subject to Social Security and Medicare withholdings and are reported on your W-2.  You should contact IHSS for more information and to see if you qualify for a refund of those withholdings.  If you do, though, the request for the refund is claimed through IHSS; it is not claimed on a Federal or state tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cray0n

I am not IHSS provider. Last year, I had Bonding Leave which was partially covered by my employer and partially by State of California. I received two W-2 forms for that: one with amount in Box1 and one without. I was told to report both to IRS, and then I ran into TurboTax issue not letting me to e-File (according to IRS rules)

I’m told There is something wrong in box one of a W-2 for 2019 taxes I believe it’s because it’s 0.00 my husband made no income is that why because otherwise do you say I should mail it in but do I do

@2173tuckaway wrote:

I’m told There is something wrong in box one of a W-2 for 2019 taxes I believe it’s because it’s 0.00 my husband made no income is that why because otherwise do you say I should mail it in but do I do

Which boxes on the W-2 have an amount entered, are checked or have a code entered.  

Why did he receive a W-2 if he did not earn any income from the employer who provided the W-2?

He didn’t I just know he didn’t have income. Do I just delete his info or not file? Can I still file jointly?

How do I change or delete a federal form 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies