Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My W-2 box 1 has nothing in it. Turbo Tax is asking me to put down the amount of box 1 dto download the W-2, do I just put down 0.00 ?

Hi...Similar question

I have a w2 and a 1099 from two different companies. married filing jointly. 

w2 has line 1 blank. I contacted accountant and they said it's because I didn't make enough to have federal income tax withheld. So lines 1 and 2 are blank, but social security, Medicaid income and taxes are reflected.

My 1099 has some income, and while it was more than the $400 minimum to file, together all of my income doesn't meet threshold for minimum gross income earned.

Turbo tax won't let me efile because of blank line 1 on w2. Can I delete this w2 and just file my 1099? Or do I have to mail it?

Thanks!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My W-2 box 1 has nothing in it. Turbo Tax is asking me to put down the amount of box 1 dto download the W-2, do I just put down 0.00 ?

Box 1 on your W-2 indicates the amount of Wages you earned.  Box 2 shows Federal Tax Withheld.   If you didn't make enough wages to have Federal Tax withheld, you should still have an amount in Box 1.

You must report a 1099-Misc in your tax return.

What was the 1099-Misc issued for?  Depending on what it was issued for, it could be reported as Self-Employment Income, or as Miscellaneous Income.  

If the amount on your 1099-Misc is in Box 3, and this is not self-employment income, enter it as follows:

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Research study." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Research study involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Research study?" - "I got it in 2022" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Research study involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

@w2-confused 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

@w2-confused 

If your 1099-NEC is more than $432, you will owe self employment (social security & medicare) tax, even if your total income is so low that you owe no income tax.  So, you still have to file.

Although not impossible, it's very  highly unusual for there to be amount in boxes 3-6 of your W-2 and box 1 to be blank. It is not unusual for box 2 to be blank, that's very common. You really need to understand (have an explanation for) this. Amounts and code numbers in box 12 may explain it. 

Yes, you will have to mail your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies