turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xingyu111

My treasury cheque doesn’t accept in Malaysia. Can I cancel the cheque and ask for telegraphic transfer to my malaysia bank account .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

My treasury cheque doesn’t accept in Malaysia. Can I cancel the cheque and ask for telegraphic transfer to my malaysia bank account .

No.  A tax refund cannot be direct deposited into a bank that is not in the US.
If you have a local bank account then deposit the check instead of trying to cash the check.  The bank will accept the deposit but put a hold on payment until the check clears.

The IRS will not issue an electronic deposit to a non-US bank account, and they will not accept requests to make electronic payments after a check has been mailed.  (They will re-mail a check if you lose it or damage it.)

You will need to find a bank that accepts US funds.  You may find that a bank will deposit the check and hold it until it clears, but won't cash it right away.  Or you may be able to open a US bank account online or through the mail.  Check with the US embassy or consulate for advice.

Hi,

Have you cash out already?

I was facing same issue and I'm able to cash out the US treasury cheque through US bank in Malaysia this year. You may try to get advice from Standard Charted bank or Citibank if you have account with them.  

Hope it will helps.

azhar88

Hi have you figured this out? I'm having a similar problem

Hi am having a same problem , just curious can city bank or standard chartered accept this Economic Impact Payment 

As mentioned before on this thread ... a US government check will be accepted however the bank may not cash it right away ... they may require you deposit the check and only have access to the funds once it clears. 

PKR13683

Any update, I am facing similar problem?

PKR13683

What is the solution?

if the Economic Impact Payment Cheque dated 041120, does it mean 11 Apr 2020? That means it is approaching one year validity?

You are correct, the IRS stimulus check may not be deposited in a foreign bank account, and 041120 means the check was issued on April 11, 2020, which is approaching one year.

The best solution is not to cancel the check and request a new one, but to send it back to the IRS, if you can, and take the Recovery Rebate Credit instead. 

Here is a TurboTax article about the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Here's how to return the check to the IRS.

@PKR13683

@Shimamarcy58

@azhar88

@xingyu111

wktee1

I'm facing similar issue as I have received a US Treasury checks and I have no idea how to deposit in Malaysia account. can anyone assist?

Thank you.

What does your local bank rules actually say ?   Have they absolutely refused a deposit of the check ?

You should be able to deposit (not cash) a federal treasury check in a foreign bank ... they may have rules as to how long the hold will be on it before they will release the funds. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies