Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My efile failed. needed an update, updated. Still fails. Still needs update, but no update.

I did the update but the e-file still fails.  Validation failed because of needed update. There is no update. What is your technical hiccup? I already paid for state e-file.

I have already spent 2 hrs with support over the phone. Re-installed, Delux version. Used another PC still the same issue

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

94 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

My efile failed. needed an update, updated. Still fails. Still needs update, but no update.

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The FAQ's does not have this error. The error is telling me there is an update for Turbo Tax even though there is not

Having the same problem.  Trying to e-file federal only, not state.

Says there is an update available, but no update is available.  From the forums it looks like this is not a new problem...

So I was able to finally get mine to work (federal e-file ONLY, I'm not paying extra to e-file state).  I had to uninstall/reinstall TurboTax using the instructions from the below link.

NOTE:  If you do, I recommend MOVING the "Deluxe 20XX" folder somewhere else, NOT deleting it.  When I reinstalled TurboTax, it wanted me to pay another $40 to download my state forms again (I have the TurboTax w/1 free state download).  Fortunately the folder was still in the Recycle bin and I was able to restore the state forms.

NOTE:  I would also HIGHLY recommend saving all your state/federal forms to PDF, just in case you would have to paper file.

Here is the link I used, and the steps I took:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/there-is-an-update-available-message-...

My Steps:

1. Save Return and save all forms as PDF.
  2. Uninstall TurboTax.
  3. Browse to C:/Program Files (x86)/TurboTax/ and MOVE the Deluxe 20XX folder (substitute XX for your product's year and your version for Deluxe if you're using a different version) to another location (e.g., your Desktop).
  4. Reinstall TurboTax and run.
  5. If it wants you to pay for another state return, close Turbo Tax.
  6. Open the "Forms" directory from the Deluxe 20XX folders from before
    1. NEW: C:/Program Files (x86)/TurboTax/Deluxe 20XX/Forms
    2. OLD:  C:/Users/{username}/Desktop/Deluxe 20XX/Forms
  7. Copy the folder representing your state forms from the OLD directory to the NEW
    1. For example, mine was for West Virginia, and the directory was named wvi_19
  8. Start TurboTax.
    1. You should be able to resume your return now.
  9. Return to the File section to e-file.

Good luck.  Hopefully this works for somebody else.

lisp
Level 2

Lordy!  This is a lot of trouble but worth it if it works. This year's edition has been the worst ever!  I've never had this much trouble. Glitches are EVERYwhere!  When i finally finished, it wouldn't transmit. So frustrating that I may rethink using Turbotax again. Grrrrrrr

kc2afb

Now what?  I uninstalled Turbo.  Rebooted.  Reinstalled.  Did all updates.  Still the same error...  "Can't efile, needs an update.  No update available..."

Don't know.  Seems like different things work for some and not for others.  For me, the manual update didn't work.  I had to uninstall/reinstall.  Removing the "Deluxe 2019" folder before the reinstall as mentioned above seemed to do the trick for me, but also required me to copy over my state folder from the original "Deluxe 2019" to avoid paying for the state again.

But maybe I just got lucky and this won't work for others.  The whole thing seems pretty flaky in general.

SJJS
Level 2

I am having the same problem e-filing my Mass. state return. Message says I can try again, or file by mail; but I paid to e-file. Called support 2 days ago and their solution was to try again in a couple of hours. Still doesn't work 2 days later.

SJJS
Level 2

I am having the same problem e-filing my Mass. state return.

"Your transmission didn't go through...validation failed...there is an update...select check for updates [checked by there his no update]...Looks like we've had a technical hiccup...try again, if that doesn't work file by mail..."

but I paid to e-file. Called support 2 days ago and their solution was to try again in a couple of hours. Still doesn't work 2 days later.

I just went through this issue.  I was on the phone with customer support and what we had to do was uninstall the turbotax from my computer and then she sent a download through my online account with turbotax.  I then installed that version of turbotax to my computer and re-transmitted my returns and it WORKED!!  I feel your pain of spending time doing the updates and everything else.  Call them again and let them know the steps that worked for me.  Good luck!

I had the same problem. I uninstalled the program, it will save all of your returns and your state program. Then reinstall the software and update again. This time when I hit "send", it transmitted without a hitch. Worked for me!

I have used TurboTax for over 12 years with no issues. I completed my taxes, paid for my e-file and get this Update error when trying to e-file.

I followed the instructions to the letter on this link https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/there-is-an-update-available-message-...

After reinstall, my TurbTax Deluxe installed as TurboTax BASIC and wanted me to pay for my State form,

I tried installing on a different computer with the exact same results on initial install and reinstall that I got on original computer. This is completely unacceptable.  What are you going to do to remedy this situation? If you aren't going to fix it, I want a refund for the software and my e-file fees, and I will use a different software product.

@KatrinaLO 

Followup to earlier post....

I even tried e-filling Fed only without the MO State and still get the "You need an update" error. 

I have tried your recommended solution several times, it doesn't work. 

Get a patch pushed out to fix this or you are likely to lose a great number of long time customers. 

I am having the same issue. I have reinstalled, updated and nothing. This is pretty annoying.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies