turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aizzy3

I was charged three times with a 39.99 fee at the end of completing my return. There was also a charge of 110.00 which dropped my total return tremendously. This doesn’t add up correctly. Why am

Why am I being charged 39.99 three times?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I was charged three times with a 39.99 fee at the end of completing my return. There was also a charge of 110.00 which dropped my total return tremendously. This doesn’t add up correctly. Why am

Deluxe edition for federal return - $39.99
State tax return - $39.99
Pay TurboTax fees with federal tax refund instead of using a credit card - service charge - $39.99

I am just as confused and irritated as this is VERY misleading when beginning. In the first step, I select just the $19.99 standard option. Then I am forced to upgrade to Deluxe even though I'm not itemizing my taxes. Then I go to finish my taxes, and have no accumulated $39 for federal, state and to take the option to pay with my refund = $119.97. Strikingly higher than the $19.99 option.
miq-polk

@jojonoble1 I’m NEVER filing with turbotax again! I’ve been using this service for 7 YEARS and up until last year I never had to pay ANYTHING. This year they charged me $119. Last year, it was only $82. All the years prior it was $0! DO NOT USE turbotax.

@miq.polk I couldn't agree more. I have always used TurboTax because it has provided a solid guided service with historically reasonable fees. But the fact that I tried calling a rep to get insight to the fee structure to only wait 5 minutes with no one on the line, then realizing I would have been charged for that call if someone had picked up, is just another thing that pushed me over. I was going to go to H&R block because apparently they are "free", but now it's looking like I have to pay a $39.99 because I selected the "use my refund to pay for turbotax fees" option. All those drop down agreements I guess I should have read!
miq-polk

@jojonoble1 ABSOLUTELY! That’s how I actually figured it out! But see they are very misleading because instead of saying pay just $39.99 out of your refund for the service, they should say IT WOULD BE 39.99 for state AND federal, and an additional 39.99 if you would like it to come out of your refund. That’s complete bs how they are seriously misleading people and almost knowing that most people will not read the agreements to see where the additional charges are coming from. It’s sad. Also, why should I have to upgrade to deluxe anyway when I don’t even have things that need to be itemized or anything and they don’t give you the option to say no thanks, keep it at standard.. they seriously give you no choice BUT to pay for it!

Really enjoying this open convo on turbotax @miq.polk. Yeah! They contradict themselves because when you select your service, I believe it was called "Premium", it was $19.99 and clearly states State and Federal are FREE. SO THAT'S TOTALLY MISLEADING. And I was force to upgrade to deluxe too!!! I didn't even use the service it provided! And don't have an itemized return!
celinam19

I can not stand this it is absolutely ROBBERY! I filled my taxes myself, using this website. I did the work why am I being charged 118$$$ for service I did myself??? Turbotax I have always advocated for your website and its low fees and last year the fee was enough to wave me off and I wish I didn’t bother with you this year honestly. I WORK ALL YEAR FOR THOSE TAXES! YOU DONT GET TO TAKE THAT MUCH FROM MY HARD WORK. Especially over a self serve website. Get it together lower your rates you are loosing customers and respect. Intentionally misleading customers with the seperate charging rates of 39.99 x 2 at the end of service then a heavy transaction fee of also 39.99 (wow thats convincingly convenient for buisness) respect to how you help people file taxes but you charge over the top for me to file my taxes myself and not even itemize them, why was I given the option of the cheap non delux package in the begining then forced to pay so much at the end? It’s  crooked business and as a annual customer I highly disapprove.

PLUS is $20 not Premium. And I am so sorry everyone is having such a tough time reading and understanding the upgrade screens (where you can always opt out )   and the fee schedule in the FILE tab prior to filing.  

As far as the extra refund processing fee ... if you had read the details instead of just checking the box you would have seen the cost breakdown.  Until you actually transmit the return you can always revisit the fees and remove what you don't need or want.

Click on the FILE tab step 1 to see the fee breakdown. 

If you utilized any of the TurboTax add-on's while preparing your return, they may increase your TurboTax Online fees. You can reduce your fees by removing the unwanted add-ons. The below FAQ contains instructions on how to remove add-ons:

Our add-ons may increase your TurboTax Online fees but can help save you time and provide additional assistance and guidance.

However, if your TurboTax Online fees are higher than expected you can reduce them by removing add-ons:

·         Remove PLUS More Help & Tools

·         Remove pay-with-your-refund (Refund Processing)

·         Remove Premium Service

·         Remove MAX Benefits

·         Remove Expert Services

·         Remove a state

You can also clear and start over to remove all fees and start from scratch as long as you haven’t:

·         Paid.

·         Registered.

·         Deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund.

Related Information:

·         Can I switch to a lower-priced version of TurboTax Online?

·         Is TurboTax Free Edition right for me?

GEN12484

Answered by  TurboTax FAQ  to  this question

miq-polk

This is so stupid because whether you let them take it from your refund or pay with cc they’re still getting the money. I will not be returning to turbo tax. I’ve been using for 7 years and JUST last year is when I had to pay $82 now this year the fee has went up and I’m paying $119 when I hadn’t paid anything prior to last year!

And finally the review of the order which includes the Refund Processing Service - Option to Pay with Refund is shown to everyone who selected the option.

Birdman38

This is sad. We are actually being forced into an obligation that we did not agree to. This is clearly false advertisement. I believe that there should be some type of legal action taken against TurboTax for false advertising

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies