turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got an extension and paid my Federal Tax Due, but now I can't tell turbo tax I already paid it. Where do I input this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Got an extension and paid my Federal Tax Due, but now I can't tell turbo tax I already paid it. Where do I input this information?

I updated the other income taxes area and Turbo Tax still is asking for payment.

Is it showing up on 1040 line 70?  Maybe it didn't cover all the Tax and you still owe more.
You can (and should) preview your return.   To preview your Online return, go to My Account at the top.  Then Tools, then View Tax summary.  Then you can click on Preview My 1040 at the top.    OR click Review near the top of your screen, and then click Summary right below it.  Then Near the bottom of the We Guarantee Your Maximum Refund screen, click the Preview Return link.  

To see all the forms you have to pay the fees first.   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322</a>

My 1040A stops at line 51, there in not a line 70. Where should I look now?

Line 46 for 1040A

Line 46 is the total payments you made.  See if it's included in that line.  There might be a notation by it for extension.

It is not included, nor is there any mention of an extension payment in the lines that make up this number (40-45)

What version are you using?  See the answer on this thread
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4102097-turbotax-is-requiring-me-to-purchase-turbotax-deluxe-becau...>

Did you enter the payment?  Maybe you entered it in the wrong place.  Try again.  Do Don's steps again slowly.

I did all of this and it is still no included in line 46.

Contact TurboTax support for this particular problem with the extension payment using a Form 1040A.
See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489</a>

If you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, Form 4868, and make the tax payment with the request, the payment should already entered on your tax return.  Provided you used the same user ID for the 2016 online tax return as was used to use Easy Extension.  You can check to see if the amount is on your tax return by clicking on My Account at the top of the program screen.  Then click on Tools.  Click on View Tax Summary.  Then click on Preview my 1040

The payment made with the extension request will be included on your tax return as a tax payment, Form 1040 Line 70, Form 1040A Line 46.   It is not an estimated tax payment which would be paid using a Form 1040-ES.

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to federal extension payment

EricG
Intuit Alumni

Very well written!

I did this, and it is still asking for the payment when I try to file. What else do I need to do?

Did you check your tax return to see if the extension payment is shown on Line 70 for a Form 1040 or on Line 46 for a Form 1040A?  If so, is the amount of the extension payment shown on the line?

Read the comments up above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies