Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I was a dependent and did not receive the third stimulus payment. Parents got it. This year, not a dependent. Can I enter $0 received for 3rd stimulus in 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Last year I was a dependent and did not receive the third stimulus payment. Parents got it. This year, not a dependent. Can I enter $0 received for 3rd stimulus in 2021?

Thanks to a loophole left by Congress, yes, you can get the 3rd EIP payment on your own tax return even if your parents got the $1400 for claiming you on their 2020 return.   If you cannot be claimed as anyone else's dependent for 2021 you get the stimulus on your own 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Right you enter 0 you didn't receive it.  And you can get your own.  

If you were a dependent on a 2020 return but filing independent for 2021 you can get it now and they don't have to pay it back.  So say NO you did not get one because you didn't one, your parents got it.

The 3rd Stimulus payment is really based on 2021.  The IRS just sent the checks out using 2020 to get them out fast.

See IRS Topic B first question

Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic B: Eligibility and Calculation...

Yes, you can enter 0 for the 3rd stimulus payment received.  You are eligible as the taxpayer on your 2021 tax return to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit of $1,400.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes.  You can and should enter 0.  That's the way it works. You get the $1400 in the form of the recovery rebate credit and your parents get to keep the $1400 they got. 

Thank You! Everyone that is. Not just because I love the answer, but for answering so quickly and the detailed explanations.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies