Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I PRE-PAID for Turbo Tax "Advantage" which advertised "live help". Now the program won't let me near a human being unless I pay an upgrade fee. How to resolve?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Last year I PRE-PAID for Turbo Tax "Advantage" which advertised "live help". Now the program won't let me near a human being unless I pay an upgrade fee. How to resolve?

I think you misunderstood what TurboTax Advantage is.  This is simply a subscription to TurboTax software that auto-renews each year.   The "Advantage" is that you don't have to remember to purchase software each year.do your taxes.  

That settled, there are a couple of ways you can access "live" help if you want to use it.  Each option does include an additional fee.  You can choose TurboTax "LIVE ASSISTED" to have an expert assist and review your tax return before filing.

The other option is "LIVE FULL SERVICE", where an expert completely prepares and files your tax return for you.  

Here's some info about TurboTax Live:

How do I get TurboTax Live? 

Info about TurboTax Live Full Service:

What is TurboTax Live Full Service? (intuit.com)

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I think Turbo Tax / Intuit is using the exact same word "Advantage" to mean two different things -- their choice of words has created the confusion.

(A) If I buy the "Advantage" version of the software, which is what I bought, than I think any group of 12 random people on the street would think that makes me an "Advantage Customer" (plus 1 year ago when I signed up for this software, I believe the ads at least implied "live help included" -- and since their business is tax filing ... enough said). 

(B) Now this year the word "Advantage" when used for the software (so you tell me) means I get the 'advantage' of having pre-paid for it -- but you don't get the "Advantage" of live help, unless you pay more -- for the "advantage" package. But wait ... the current package I bought was the "advantage" version (it says it right on the receipt) but you tell me that advantage package doesn't include the "advantage" package. AKPHT!

I would love to do lunch with a TurboTax Executive. During lunch we each ask 12 random people at the Restaurant if it is reasonable to expect that buying the "Advantage" version of the software makes you an "Advantage" customer -- which should give you access to the rights-and-privileges of an advantage customer (ie the advertised tax advice)? I think most people in their guts know what most of the 12 people would say. "The branding says 'advantage' so it is the advantage version! Enough said!"

My humble proposed solution: TurboTax should use different words for different meanings.  How hard would it be to call the customers that get Tax Advice "Golden Customers" to distinguish them from those that bought the "auto-paid software"?  Or am i missing something?  << TurboTax executives reading this, you know how to reach me -- let's do lunch!>>  I bet I am not the only person taken back by this discovery.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@DrPaul There is no "Advantage" version of the software.  TurboTax Advantage is a subscription, plain and simple.  To my knowledge, an Advantage subscription has never included access to live assistance with your return.  See more info here:

What is TurboTax Advantage? 

Are you a TurboTax Advantage member?

Do I have a TurboTax Advantage subscription? 

If you do have an Advantage subscription, but would like to cancel it:

How do I cancel my TurboTax Advantage subscription? 

I SO agree with you about all the terminology used with the many different options.  It can be quite confusing.  I'm so sorry that your understanding was other than what's available.  I'm not a TurboTax employee; I'm a user just like you.

Best of luck to you.  Please post back if I can help with anything else.  I'll do my best.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

The Advantage is the auto renew program for the Desktop program.  Not the Online version which you seem to be in.  If you got charged  in the beginning of November that was for the Desktop program.  You need to download and install it on your computer.  We can help you move this Online return to the Desktop program without paying for Online.  

Addressing the last reply, the receipt states "TurboTax Advantage enrollment" one would think that enrolls me in the TurboTax Advantage program (ask 12 random people). The software version states on the receipt "TurboTax For Win Premier Advantage" <- I bet 12 random people on the street would think that is the "Advantage version" of the software.

Now yes, I concede that I have now learned that the word "Advantage" has been used by TurboTax to mean different things in different places. But one must ask if when using the exact same word to mean different things, is it not reasonable to expect such usage to create confusion?  And if it is reasonable to expect such usage to create confusion, then who is responsible for the confusion? The one being confused, or the person using the words in a confusing way?  I guess that is a philosophical question -- not a tax question.  I still would love to do lunch with one of the executives and hear their thinking. It would be a fun lunch that I think would benefit many -- and TurboTax as a whole.

PS Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful and appreciated!

Huh?  Not following you.  There is only one thing called Advantage, the auto renew desktop program.  You bought the Premier Desktop program.  But you are in the Online version.  You don't have to pay extra to upgrade to call support.

Did you accidentally use the Online version instead of your Desktop program?   Online has the menu items down the left side in a black bar.  The Desktop programs have the tabs going across the top.  

Did you install the program and enter the 16 digit License Code to Activate it?  Looks like you ended up in the Online version by mistake.

Sorry you can't apply the Desktop CD/Download program purchase to the Online version.  (The App is just a portal to the Online version.)  They are separate prices and work different.  You have to pay for online and try to get a refund for the Desktop program.  Or switch to your program.

To Continue in your Desktop program......

You need to install the program on your computer and move your online return to the Desktop program. You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

@VolvoGirl  I am in the DeskTop Version. At the top right-hand corner of the *desktop version* there is a box that says "Live Tax Advice *Advantage Only*" then when I click on it, more charges are incurred. The question becomes, was it reasonable for me to think I was signing up for the "Advantage" level of things or not?  The receipt does say ... Just saying ... 

Oh yes.  That is a new thing this year or started last year.  I forgot about it.  No one ever asks about it.  See How to get Turbo Tax Live.  It has a section about Turbo Tax Desktop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-product-orders/get-turbotax-live/... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies