turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mark06825

I need to file 10 returns for friends and family. If I purchase 2 turbotax CD's, can I e file 5 from each CD? Can I associate a different email address with each CD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I need to file 10 returns for friends and family. If I purchase 2 turbotax CD's, can I e file 5 from each CD? Can I associate a different email address with each CD?

No that will not work ... you can only use one CD but you can prepare an unlimited number of returns but you can only efile 5.  You can either mail in  the simple kid returns or use the FREE online version for them as the federal & state returns are absolutely free for a couple more weeks. 

DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Technically, your plan would work if you installed the software on 2 different PCs and registered each product with a different TurboTax account.  However, for the price of 5 stamps, I would agree with the above that e-filing 5 returns and mailing the other 5 is a more convenient option.  

it would not work if the PCs were in the same household.
But, no one would buy two copies; Turbotax does not use an activation code.

It might check with the IP address, not just the email address.

I wonder, does it look at the computer, or the head router to check the IP address?  I have the same issue, I help people at church and so I end up printing, driving over, they don't have the money so I mail (which by the way is not one stamp) and so it ends up a huge hastle.  

3Amb

was told by support rep the way to get 10 efiles is to upload with CD one by example 2 different versions for example deluxe and premier . Please confirm. My concern that this will not work and cause a conflict is not  only not be able to transfer 2022 data but will “ crash “ the 2 versions Thanks for your input!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The TurboTax user license allows one user to install copies of TurboTax on up to five computers that the user owns. You can also prepare multiple returns, including returns for other people. But the license does not allow, and has never allowed, one copy to be shared among different people.  This year, that license is being enforced by requiring users to log into their TurboTax online account when they install the program for the first time. This locks one particular copy of the program and one license code to one user account. The only way you could install the program on a computer that you do not own, would be to give the other person your online username and password. And even though that workaround might allow the installation, it’s still a violation of the license.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response but I didn’t ask any of the questions that you answered.  I’ll try calling them again. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

[Edited 3.1.24 | 6:20am]

@3Amb wrote:

was told by support rep the way to get 10 efiles is to upload with CD one by example 2 different versions for example deluxe and premier . Please confirm. My concern that this will not work and cause a conflict is not  only not be able to transfer 2022 data but will “ crash “ the 2 versions Thanks for your input!

I think that was very bad advice.  The 5 e-file limit is imposed by the IRS, not Turbotax.  You can't legally get around it by buying and installing 2 separate copies of the program.  If it doesn't work, you are out $70. If it does work, you are violating IRS regulations. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Good point @Opus 17. I didn't even think about that. I removed my previous reply.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@3Amb wrote:

was told by support rep the way to get 10 efiles is to upload with CD one by example 2 different versions for example deluxe and premier . Please confirm.

Not only would this be illegal, it won't work. You cannot install two different versions of TurboTax on the same computer.

See this help article for an explanation of the 5 efile limit per tax preparer: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-product-orders/many-returns-e-fil...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies