sodyblue

Is my status considered to be Single or Divorced if the marriage was annulled?

Mike9241

single - annulled means you were never married so you can't have been divorced.

sodyblue

What if I was married years ago then divorced?am I always considered divorced even if most recent marriage was annulled? Or can I go back to being single?

@sodyblue "Divorced" is not a filing status for a tax return.   There is no place to put "Divorced" on a tax return. On a tax return you file as Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household, or Qualified Widow.

So----if your "most recent marriage" ended before 2021 ended, you are now either Single or Head of Household----if you are the custodial parent of the children.

FYI ... the reason the program asks for your Marital status is so the correct questions are asked to determine your correct  FILING status.   The marital status is not entered anywhere on the return. 

sodyblue

So...then either way, I am still head of household?

We do not know if you are Head of Household----do you have a blood-related dependent that you are supporting?

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your filing status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.