Do I qualify for Head of Household?
Yes, if you:
- Were unmarried as of December 31 and
- Paid over half the cost to run your home or the home of a qualifying parent in 2015 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
- Supported a qualifying person.
If you're married and a child lives with you, you can qualify for Head of Household under a slightly different set of rules. Read more
When you go through the Personal Info section, we'll let you know if you qualify. You can also revisit this section by doing this:
- Click Personal Info and proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary page.
- Click Edit next to Your Filing Status.
- Check Change my filing status, select Head of household, and click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- What is a "qualifying person" for Head of Household?
- Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?