TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3376 people found this useful

Do I qualify for Head of Household?

Yes, if you:

  1. Were unmarried as of December 31, 2016 and
  2. Paid more than half the cost to run your home (or the home of a qualifying parent) in 2016 (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
  3. Supported a qualifying person.

If you were still legally married as of December 31 and a child lives with you, you may qualify for Head of Household under a slightly different set of rules. Read more

When you go through the Personal Info section, we'll let you know if your situation qualifies you for Head of Household.

If you already went through this section, you can go back by simply clicking Personal Info and revisit (edit) the sections that contain information about yourself and/or your dependent(s).