Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

two income marriage deduction

What type of income is considered for the two income marriage deduction?  My husband is working but I'm a stay at home parent.  I do pay into my kids 529 and came into the marriage with investments that earn interest.  Can I take this deduction for the portion I'm putting in or is it only if I'm getting a pay check from an employer?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Are you asking about a state deduction?  If so, which state?

If it is Maryland then you just need to have income.  It does not specifically say wages from work, it says income. 

Is there a tax break if both spouses have income? 

"Yes, you can claim the two-income married couple subtraction on line 14 of Maryland Form 502. This is a state-only deduction that reduces your taxable income. Married couples filing a joint return, when both have taxable income, may subtract up to $1,200 or the income of the spouse with the lower income, whichever is less. A worksheet is included in Instruction 13 to help you calculate the subtraction."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If Ohio:

To qualify for the Joint Filing Credit (JFC), you and your spouse must each have at least $500 of qualifying income and jointly file your return. "Qualifying income" is any amount included in Ohio adjusted gross income, other than the following:
●Interest;
●Dividends and distributions;
●Capital gains; AND
●Rents and royalties

But, then any schedule A deductions must be subtracted from each spouse’s income to see if you each still have $500. In addition any Federal adjustments must be subtracted. Common examples are an IRA deduction or student loan interest. Let's say the wife had $1500 of wages and paid and took a deduction for $1200 of student loan interest. She would only have $300 of net qualifying income and the couple would not get any JFC. 

Thanks so much, that answered my question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies