turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for Federal and California State tax e-filing at Costco. The electronic filing in TurboTax wants me to pay $24.99 more to e-file California. What's up with that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I paid for Federal and California State tax e-filing at Costco. The electronic filing in TurboTax wants me to pay $24.99 more to e-file California. What's up with that?

Preparation for federal and one state is included in the Costco purchase. Federal e-filing is free but e-filing anything in addition to that, including any state filing, is charged the additional fee. Basically the tax preparation and the e-filing are separate line items.

In the Desktop program it is currently 24.99 to efile EACH state return including the first one. Or you can print and mail state for free. And be careful, if you have the state fee deducted from your refund there is an Extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California). So pay with a credit card. 

What you got for free was one state program download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then if you have to file a return in a different state you have to buy another state program for 44.99. 

It will not let me e file my Indiana return.  Won't let me advance to the paying 24.99 page.  Says I need a state certification number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies