turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If you file a joint return with spouse is the AGI the same for both people

When you file a joint return and filed a joint return the previous year, then you will use the AGI for the previous year when you efile your return.  In some cases, putting in zero for the AGI works.  You can also work around the question by answering that you did not file last year and that eliminates the AGI question entirely.  

If a previous return had been amended, then the AGI on the database will be set back to zero and you will need to enter zero for the AGI to efile.

We mailed a 2019 return (married filing jointly) a bit late - a few days after the October 15 extension deadline. It now DOES show in our online IRS account with an AGI for 2019, but this number was rejected when we tried to efile for 2020.

Entering $0 for *both* me and my spouse worked. TurboTax made me check a bunch of boxes that don't make sense when you're trying to enter $0 for the spouse, but I decided to try anyway, and the return was accepted.

Apparently whatever system the IRS uses to check the AGI number is NOT in sync with the information you can see in the online account view, and in our case I believe it was because our 2019 return was not processed by the IRS until about a month ago.  So if your 2019 return was late due to your own filing date or the IRS taking forever to process paper returns for 2019, I would suggest trying $0 before you give up on e-file. 

One of the reasons we were late filing for 2019 was the same problem where the efile wouldn't accept the true AGI number - at the time I didn't figure out that we could try $0 (TurboTax wasn't as helpful here as I would have liked). Hopefully next year when I e-file it will finally accept the true AGI number for 2021. 

SJS4

This is the problem for me in May 2021 filing my 2020 taxes.  It keeps getting rejected for the AGI when I use the same correct number for my husband and myself.  I will try entering zero for my spouse when asked.  I hope this works!  If anyone knows from TurboTax how to fix this, then please make clear instructions!

Sara

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

The AGI for a MFJ prior year return should be the same number for both. If you did not file joint last year, enter the separate AGIs. If your 2019 has not been processed, enter zero for both.

@SJS4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have had the issue of rejected e-filing due to incorrect AGI  for my spouse (married filing joint) for 2019, 2020 and now again for 2021 (I even double checked my AGI's on IRS.Gov to be sure).

I ended up mailing my Returns for 2019 and 2020. But finally after three years of rejections (I was getting a complex.. half expected a message back from IRS saying "I'm sorry, it's not you, it's me")  so yesterday I found this discussion thread and was successful at e-filing our 2021 Return... Accepted ... Hooray!

1. I entered my actual AGI for myself
  2. I entered 0 (not blank but entered a value of 0) for my wife

Bingo, IRS accepted my return (Now trying to decide whether to send a card or flowers!)

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We are happy you got it resolved. Please reach out to the community forum if you have more questions. 

Phoover1151
Returning Member

I am having this same issue and am being told to file by mail which I am really trying to avoid. I am unable to see where I can enter my spouses AGI as separate from mine - any help on how you fixed this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

@Phoover1151 wrote:

I am having this same issue and am being told to file by mail which I am really trying to avoid. I am unable to see where I can enter my spouses AGI as separate from mine - any help on how you fixed this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If your tax return is being rejected for your spouse's 2020 AGI then enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file again.

Phoover1151
Returning Member

Thank you for the response - I did try that and still rejecting with the same error code

@Phoover1151 wrote:

Thank you for the response - I did try that and still rejecting with the same error code

What is the error code?

Phoover1151
Returning Member

IND-031-04

@Phoover1151 wrote:

IND-031-04

Thanks.  If you filed your 2020 federal tax return as Married Filing Jointly then the 2020 AGI is the same for the both of you.  The IRS is rejecting the return because their database does not have your spouse's AGI or has an incorrect AGI for your spouse.  

If you have e-filed your 2021 tax return with the correct AGI for 2020 and it has been rejected.  And you have changed the 2020 AGI for your spouse to 0 and it has been rejected, the only other option is to enter a 0 for both your AGI and your spouse's AGI.  If this is also rejected then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Phoover1151
Returning Member

Thank you so much for the information.

JM Healy
Returning Member

AGI, $ Amount, line 11, for 2020 is correct but being rejected for efiling on turbotax 2021 return.... 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

JM Healy, If your 2020 return was processed after December 10, 2021, then enter 0 for your 2020 AGI.  The following Help Article contains additional tips for fixing a rejected AGI:  How do I fix e-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04?

If you've tried all of the solutions and you're still getting rejected, print and mail your return instead. You won't have to deal with AGI issues this way. Select File by mail to print your return, and mail it to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies