turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I'm using a credit card, can i choose the date to charge my card?

it says i can file and choose payment date with a bank transfer, but it isnt clear with credit card option
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryM

When paying by credit card it is charged immediately, you can not pick when you want to pay.

That is the difference with the bank transfer and the credit card payment.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MaryM

When paying by credit card it is charged immediately, you can not pick when you want to pay.

That is the difference with the bank transfer and the credit card payment.

tazz
Returning Member

I know this question was asked a few years ago, but I was searching for the same answer.  Unfortunately TurboTax 2022 gives the impression that a payment date can be selected when paying by credit card.  It automatically chose April 15th (2023) as the payment date when I selected the credit card option for my Federal return, but that is a Saturday and we have until the April 18th this year to pay.  I changed the payment day to April 17th, 2023.  TurboTax even showed me the "review" screen for me to approve before submitting my choice.  It showed a payment day of April 17th, 2023.  The only advisory given by the application was in regards to the service fee.  It did not advise that the payment would be made immediately.  I was not happy when my credit card got hit immediate after submitting my eFile two and a half months before tax deadline.  I also experienced credit card frauds within a couple of days of this payment being processes.  Coincidence? Probably, but still suspicious.  My credit card should not have been immediately charged for my Federal return without providing me an explicit warning that would occur when using the pay by credit card option, especially when providing me the option to select and even verify the payment date.

Was your credit card charged for the tax due or the Turbo Tax fees?  The fees get charged right away.  You have to pay the fees before you file.

tazz
Returning Member

In addition to the TurboTax filing fees and the pay by credit card fee, which I knew I was going to get charged, my card was also charged for the actual tax amount due to the IRS.  The charge going to the IRS hit my credit card seconds after I submitted the eFile button (I have text notifications for credit card charges).

The credit card is going to pay right away so you start paying interest right away.

You should not be surprised.

@tazz 

tazz
Returning Member

I won't pay interest on it.  I'll just lose interest on what would have otherwise sat in the bank.  But yes, I should be surprised.  The TurboTax app literally gave me the means to set the payment date, but then charged it immediately with no warning.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies