If I have a 1,000 CA scratcher win, will I receive the full $1000 and only pay federal tax at tax time, or will some of that check be withheld when it’s issued as well?

Am I taxed 2 different ways or just one?

You will not receive the full $1,000.  California will withhold taxes.  The California lottery website states that "all prizes of $600 or more are subject to Federal income taxes and other offsets required by law.  However, there are no California state or local taxes.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a resident alien, the Lottery is required by federal tax law to withhold additional taxes from your prize.  The Lottery is required to withhold federal taxes of 25% for U.S. citizens and resident aliens providing a social security number, and 28% for U.S. citizens and resident aliens not providing a social security number.  Players who select "I am NOT a U.S. Citizen and I am NOT a Resident Alien" box will have 30% withheld from all prizes.  Federal tax rates are subject to change."

You will Submit a Claim Form to collect your winnings.  Click this link Claiming Prizes and scroll down to Scratcher Games $600 and Over.  Follow the instructions to claim your winnings.

If you itemize your taxes, you can deduct gambling losses up to gambling winnings.  See this TurboTax article Can You Claim Gambling Losses On Your Taxes? for more information.

You WILL get a check for $1000. I know because I just got one. They send you a form at the end of the year, and you are responsible for noting it in your taxes.

Same with $2000. Got one of those in Jan. In fact, the rep at the Lotto office in San Diego said anything up to $4999 gets the full amount. Above that, they subtract it from your check.

Congrats on the win!

• Do you receive a check as soon as you turn in the scratcher to the district office .