Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If I have a 1,000 CA scratcher win, will I receive the full $1000 and only pay federal tax at tax time, or will some of that check be withheld when it’s issued as well?

The CA State Lottery, like most businesses, has been affected by COVID-19 and this can account for delays  I know the U.S. Postal Service is also experiencing delays..  Keep checking with the Lottery office if you don't receive the check within the timeframe they specify.  

If I have a 1,000 CA scratcher win, will I receive the full $1000 and only pay federal tax at tax time, or will some of that check be withheld when it’s issued as well?

@JnapkinsHave you received your check yet? I mailed my $1,000 winning ticket Jan. 19th & still waiting for it.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This website states:

California does not tax lottery winnings. The winner has to be a California state resident to qualify for this exception. If you're not a California state resident but bought your winning ticket while vacationing in California, you’ll be subject to your home state’s tax laws.

The California Lottery will still withhold 24 percent of your winnings to pay federal taxes if you’re a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and 30 percent if you’re not. The California lottery taxes Scratcher winnings the same way if they're $600 or more. 

The California Lottery will mail you an IRS Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, by Jan. 31, the year after you won the lottery. This form shows the amount of your winnings like a W-2 shows the amount of your earnings. Also like a W-2, you submit the W-2G to the IRS with your tax return. You should also keep a copy for your records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I WON 1000 ON A $20 SCRATCHER AND MAILED IT ON JAN 15TH AND YES IM STILL WAITING AS WELL....

nm

Did you receive your check yet ? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Usually what happens is that income tax will not be withheld and you are responsible for it when you receive the tax form next year that reports the earnings. With this said though, it is at the discretion of the issuer whether to withhold or not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok so here is a late answer just figured I'd share. If you read the fine print on the lottery website it explains that you can bring in the equal amount of your win in NON winning tickets (so you win $1000.00 gather up $1000.00 in non winners in any denomination as long as they equal your win!) and that it is basically like giving them the same amount of cash you are about to recieve and therefore you will not be taxed then nor at the end of the year. Basically it shows that you paid that amount into the lottery so basically the non winning tickets are traded for the cash in a way.  Same thing as having the win written off on your taxes at the end of the year. Only this way it isn't even reported as a win because it's now an even trade (I'm guessing) Not sure how to explain it I just know it's on the website 4 sure! Good luck everyone!

@Heatherly123 It is nice that you tried to be helpful, but gambling losses do not work the way you seem to think they do, so your suggestion that the losing tickets somehow "wash away" the winnings is not correct.   We do not want users to read this and think that would be the result of entering their losing tickets.   It is MUCH harder to claim enough losses to have any effect at all on your tax due or refund.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/how-do-i-claim-my-gambling-winnings-and-or-losses

Gambling winnings are taxable income.  Losses are an itemized deduction.  If you do not have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, your losses will have no effect.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/income-and-investments/how-are-gambling-winnings-taxed-8891/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900352-can-i-deduct-my-gambling-losses

2020 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,400   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,400   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,800   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,650  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MissHoneyMarie73
Returning Member

Have any of you that were waiting for your checks received them yet?! Please send me a quick response.  I'm just curious.  It's coming up on 14 weeks and I'm checking everyday. Hoping it comes soon!!! I really need it!!!!

You will receive the whole 1000 and have to pay 25% when tax time comes. I’ve had a 1000 and a 2500 winner and got the whole check. It tells you on there website. 5000 and up the state will withhold 25% automatically. 

MissHoneyMarie73
Returning Member

Did you receive it yet? If yes, how long did it take?

Yes you will get the whole thing, I didn't have anything held for taxes until I won 75,000.  Even at 5,000 they didn't hold taxes because they subtract the price of the ticket so the 5,000 dollar winner was considered 4,995 dollars so they didn't hold any for taxes.

It says up to 1000 dollars you receive a check right then but anything over you have to wait 6 to 8 wks for the check

i was led to believe i’d be taxed 24% federal on my $1000 winner but got a check for full $1000..

its only $5000 or more you get taxed federally nd no state tax. just the 24%

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies