turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I can't see my Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet in my 2019 return and the math looks like I paid full ordinary income?

Looks like Turbo Tax did not fill in the form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I can't see my Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet in my 2019 return and the math looks like I paid full ordinary income?

Even though the full amount shows up in the total income on the 1040 line 6 (from Schedule 1 line 13) if you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from schedule D. The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet. It does not get filed with your return. In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all worksheets to see it.

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it. Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

dandmorgan
Returning Member

I don't believe that answer is correct.  I'm using Turbotax Desktop and I had both Capital Gains and Qualified Dividends.  The IRS notified me that they were recalculating my taxes because Turbo Tax did not correctly calculate my taxes and they notified that my refund would be approximately 2800 higher.  It seemed too good to be true so I built my own model to use the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gains Worksheet and the IRS is, in fact, correct.  Digging deeper to see why this was I looked at the schedules from Turbo Tax desktop and found that they instead used the Schedule D worksheet to calculated my taxes rather than the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gains Worksheet.  On Schedule 1 line 3a the dividend is clearly listed as Qualified but the program ignores this.  I would love to hear back from Turbotax if this is something that I'm not doing correctly or if they are taking steps to correct this.  Reading other posts it appears like it is a recurring problem with the desktop edition going back to at least TY2018.

@dandmorgan 

(For both 2018 and 2019, Q. Divs are on form 1040, line 3a ...not on Schedule 1)

You didn't really make it clear whether you are talking about the 2018 or 2019 software !!

There was an actual IRS error in the IRS's  Schedule D worksheet for the 2018 software, that was found in May of 2019...the TTX software would have been updated to correct it....probably by the end of June of 2019.  Whether this is part of your issue is unknown, but it only affected 2018 software.  IF you are talking about the 2018 software, and if you filed 2018 before the middle of May of 2019, the IRS was going to correct the problem with their computer calculations themselves...and issue corrections directly to the taxpayers ( i.e. I saw a post from a TTX expert that the IRS asked people to NOT file an amended 2018 tax return for this). 

Then another December 2019 post in the Lacerte discussion area about a second notice that max taxes were being calculated, in error,  for Cap Gains...again an IRS problem at their end with how they instructed the software companies to do the calcs, but I have no idea if this really affected your situation .

....but then you said you had both...so maybe the error was on your 2018 Cap Gains end and not in your Q.Divs...again..IF you are talking about 2018 taxes, not 2019

That I can see, this isn't a known current defect in the TTX fully  "updated" software, but you'd have to run a software update first to see if the error is still in there.... if there was one in the earlier software for the tax year involved .

None of us other "users" could test it unless we had all of your exact data for all of your income because the Schedule D tax worksheet should be used in certain situations, and we can't know if it is a software error, or a mis-entry on your part that the IRS picked up on from the 1099-DIV, 1099-B/8949 and 1099-INT data the brokerages/banks etc, sent them separately from what you filed.

What you "can" do, is call TTX Customer Support to report that you believe problem occurs, and they would take a "diagnostic" copy of your tax return to work thru your exact data set to see if there was something entered that avoided the trigger to use one worksheet vs, the other.   

All I can suggest is to Call them and give it a shot:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies