Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i am Louisiana State tax exempt why does your program say I owe them and why should I file state tax ?

We are Louisiana State tax exempt! Why does your program say we owe to them?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

If i am Louisiana State tax exempt why does your program say I owe them and why should I file state tax ?

No one else can see your tax return or your information.   We do not know why you are tax exempt for LA or what kind of income you entered when you prepared your tax return.   Provide some details.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

MY wife is retired from LSU Eunice and we are both state tax exempt because she is a retired state employee.

Thanks,

Joseph Fontenot

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

After you enter your spouse's 1099R for the teacher's retirement distribution in the federal interview in the "Income" tab using the "Retirement" topic you arrive at a follow question asking about the source of the retirement income.  You would select the "Teacher's retirement system" item.  This will exclude the income from LA state taxation.  

Your income is not excluded based on her service.  However if you have retirement income that could be excluded, you would also arrive at the same page following form 1099R entry in the federal interview and select the proper category for the exclusion from LA state taxes.

Here is a link to the LA tax page on retirement income exclusions.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BKS-1

The full exclusion is still not showing on my LA schedule-e except for the $6,000 (over 65) and I've checked and double-checked all 1099-R entries....??? 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" data file for the return that is experiencing this issue. We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing, so we can determine what exactly is happening in your return and provide you with a resolution. 

Please, also tell us any other states included in the return in addition to Lousisana.  

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Online

Go to the dark panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, these are the instructions: 

1. Go to the top Menu Bar and select Online
  2. Select Send tax file to Agent. 
  3. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  4. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

@BKS-1

Same issue, I have LASERS (LA State Employee's Retirement System). I have not had this issue in previous years, but the program is not recognizing my exempt status for LASERS payments. Just spend nearly an hour on the phone with a rep only to have them say, sorry, can't figure out the issue. Good Luck. Not sure what to do now.

Selected 02E, still no luck. I have LASERS.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You need to have the correct exemption code showing to exempt the income. Please follow the steps here except you will choose the correct code for you.

@ejwredfish It sounds like you are code 2E but each exempt income needs to be selected.

That did it, thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies