Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crod120

Why is my state tax just show strarted

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If all the Illinois forms you need are available, then since your Federal return has already been accepted, you should be able  to go back and open up your State return to complete and file it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

Check here first to see if the Illinois forms you need are available:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per...

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products
NOTE:  When you go back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up.  Don't make any changes to the Federal return, since it has already been filed.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.  Continue in that section until it says "Done with State" (or similar words.)
  • Also step through the REVIEW tab to run the error check and be sure all is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section to select a filing method, and choose to file only the State return.
  • If efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit My Returns Now."
  • If filing by mail, you will need to print, sign, and mail the return yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I assume you are asking about a 2017 return.   If the state return status is "started", that means you haven't finished and filed it.     Did you already efile the Federal return, and if so, has it been accepted?

What state is it?
crod120

Thanks for the quick response, yes it is for 2017 and my federal has been accepted. My state is Illinois, will it automatically file it for me, if not a don’t see where to go to file it. Thanks

I'll be telling you how to do all that below. No, it is not automatic.

If all the Illinois forms you need are available, then since your Federal return has already been accepted, you should be able  to go back and open up your State return to complete and file it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

Check here first to see if the Illinois forms you need are available:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per...

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products
NOTE:  When you go back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up.  Don't make any changes to the Federal return, since it has already been filed.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can go to the State Taxes tab to complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.  Continue in that section until it says "Done with State" (or similar words.)
  • Also step through the REVIEW tab to run the error check and be sure all is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section to select a filing method, and choose to file only the State return.
  • If efiling, make sure you go all the way to the end and click on "Transmit My Returns Now."
  • If filing by mail, you will need to print, sign, and mail the return yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies