turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tnnunn-tn

I was divorced as of October 12 2020, however we were in married status on our taxes as of dec 31 2020 how do we file

I was divorced as of October 12 2020, however we were in married status on our taxes as of dec 31 2020 how do we file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Not sure what you are asking about....

BUT....if you are in the tax account you used last year, you probably have to start an entirely new Online account to file your 2020 taxes.   Each spouse needs to start up in a new Online account with their own UserID/Password, and actually file a "Single" for 2020  (or Head-of-household if one of you has a dependent you are supporting).  ((( Or unless one of you divorced AND remarried during 2020. That person could still file MFJ, but still needs to start a new tax account )))

If your W-2 at work is set up as MFJ...that is immaterial to how you file your taxes...that W-2 / W-4 setting is only there to determine how much withholding is done during the year.  Yes, you likely need to file a new W-4 with your employer to make sure your withholding is set properly.

It is very difficult to remove the "former" spouse from a former MFJ tax account...thus you create a new account for yourself.  And before you exit that former MFJ tax account, you need to download the PDF file fore every tax year in that account and keep in a tax folder for future reference.  At some time in the future, you may lose access to that old account, and you need to keep your own copy of those files for future reference should any problems crop up.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

since you remarried and were married on Dec 31, your file status is Married.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies