turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently got fired from my job, will they still send my W-2’s?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Yes, your previous employer is still required to send your W2 regardless of the reason for your departure.  They will likely mail it to your address on file.

Hilda1208

I was fired from my job and I was looking to get my W-2 form but I never did it should have been sent to  [PII Removed].

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should have received a W-2 from your former employer.  Contact their payroll office to get a copy of your W-2.

V0T00U4

I Need Expert Help Thank You

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have a question you can ask here?   @V0T00U4   

TurboTax Live is an online product that lets you get help and guidance from a tax expert when preparing your taxes. When you use TurboTax Live, you can work with a tax expert whenever you need assistance. You can even talk to a tax expert live while you both look at your return.    All TurboTax Live products provide:

• Help from a tax expert when you have questions about your return.
  • A review of your return by an expert before filing, at your request. A tax expert can even sign your return.
    • Talk live: Using SmartLook (one-way video where you can see the tax expert on your screen; they can’t see you) or by phone. You can ask about a specific topic or section or get a review of your entire return.
    • Written response: Submit your questions and a tax expert will give a detailed answer by message within 24 hours.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dtweed17
Returning Member

I was terminated in late December 2020 and did not get my w2 anywhere in January or February but wrote down the info on my last paystub, and it was not filed until February 17th because of some form I had to delete.

The I.R.S accepted instantly even though the witholding was higher than usual and it was not noticed last year when it started. Like it started in March of 2020 where it was more than $10 but less than $100 because I was evening out the federal witholding to a hole $100 after that I spent most of 2020 giving the irs $100 each paycycleck which is weekly and for some weird reason the tax witholding to the irs was a few cents more than $100. The irs did not take any notice of this at all that year they just took it and they are only reviewing it now because they did not take notice that I was using aditional witholding in my federal taxes last year which is how my federal return is $3850 which is higher than usual. 

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

If you didn't get a W-2 that is your first problem.  Even though you filed your tax return you should still get one.  The IRS will question it.  Please see what to do further down in the page.

It also sounds like you adjusted your withholdings to be around $100 per pay check.  That was wise, but its curious that your refund is so large. 

Did you receive the previous stimulus checks, or did you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Either way, if the IRS sees an error on your return they will contact you BY MAIL.  The IRS does not make phone calls, so if you get one it is a scam.

What To Do If You Haven't Received a W-2

• Step 1: Check online.  Many employers now issue Form W-2 electronically to employees. But that doesn't mean they'll always email the form to you, as it isn't particularly secure. Instead, they'll email you a link to an online portal where you can download the form yourself.
  • Step 2: Ask your employer.  If your online search leaves you empty-handed, contact your employer's payroll or human resources department to ask when and how they issued your W-2. If they mailed it to an old or incorrect address, the post office may have returned it to the employer.
  • Step 3: Contact the IRS.  What happens if your employer truly never issued your W-2? Perhaps they went out of business or aren’t responding to your request for a W-2? In that case, it's time to try contacting the IRS. Find a local IRS office 

Be ready to provide the following information:

• Your name, address, Social Security number, and phone number
  • The employer's name, address, phone number and Tax ID if you have it
  • The dates you worked for the employer
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld (you can usually find this information on your last pay stub for the tax year)

kmcada64

i know ask u ?? where is my w-2  ? i am wored ex whataber

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

If you haven't received a W2 from your previous employer then you should reach out to them and request it.  They are required to send it to you.

If you can still log on to your former employer's website as a former employee then your W2 may be available there.

If there is no way to get it from your former employer then you can get it from the IRS.

You can create an account at the IRS website and use it to get any information that you may need about yourself including past years tax returns and any information returns (W2s, 1099s, etc.) that are filed with your social security number on them.

Go to irs.gov

Click on "Sign Into Your Account"

Follow the steps to create a new account. 

You will have to verify your identity in order to create an account.

@kmcada64

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies