germanybrittney

I need to file another tax return. It’s not letting me file two

Did you file Federal, and now want to file State?  Or file Federal for a different person?

macuser_22

Online accounts can only file one tax return.  A second person would need their own account.

Mike9241

to prepare and file a return for another person you need a new account.  you can use the same e-mail address for up to 5 accounts but only one person per a/c. if you use your a/c enter the other person's date your data is gone and replaced by theirs.  sure hope you didn't do this.  if you did but have submitted your return beforehand, it's sitting on the TT server waiting to send to the IRS when it opens e-filing on 2/12/2021. an acceptance or rejection e-mail will be sent to the a/c from which you submitted your return. if it's accepted you should be okay except having entered info for this other person would mean your data file is permanently gone. so you won't be able to use this a/c to prepare your return next year. you will have to start from scratch..  you'll also have to start from scratch if your return is rejected.  again I remind you that this will only be necessary if you entered this other person's data in your a/c.   

germanybrittney

I worked for 2 different companies and they only allowed me to file one of my W2s

macuser_22

You do not file a 2nd tax return.  All income must go on the  same tax return.

We tell people over and over, not to file until they have ALL of there tax documents.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

To amend your 2020 tax return:

The IRS will not open to accept or reject return until Feb 12, so wait.

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return