turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file another tax return. It’s not letting me file two

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Did you file Federal, and now want to file State?  Or file Federal for a different person?

Online accounts can only file one tax return.  A second person would need their own account.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

to prepare and file a return for another person you need a new account.  you can use the same e-mail address for up to 5 accounts but only one person per a/c. if you use your a/c enter the other person's date your data is gone and replaced by theirs.  sure hope you didn't do this.  if you did but have submitted your return beforehand, it's sitting on the TT server waiting to send to the IRS when it opens e-filing on 2/12/2021. an acceptance or rejection e-mail will be sent to the a/c from which you submitted your return. if it's accepted you should be okay except having entered info for this other person would mean your data file is permanently gone. so you won't be able to use this a/c to prepare your return next year. you will have to start from scratch..  you'll also have to start from scratch if your return is rejected.  again I remind you that this will only be necessary if you entered this other person's data in your a/c.   

I worked for 2 different companies and they only allowed me to file one of my W2s

You do not file a 2nd tax return.  All income must go on the  same tax return.

We tell people over and over, not to file until they have ALL of there tax documents.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

To amend your 2020 tax return:

The IRS will not open to accept or reject return until Feb 12, so wait.

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
thentush

I filed for [Full name removed] now I need to file for myself.  The site is not letting me file another return.

[Full name removed]

[email address removed]

thentush

Federal and state for a different person.   I filed for my grandson, now I want to file for myself.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the online version you have to create an account for each person you need to file a return for. One account equals one return.

If you are using the CD/Download, you can prepare 5 returns.

How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

@thentush

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@thentush   Are you using the Online web version?  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or go to the IRS Free File programs

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service

The Desktop CD/Download program can do unlimited returns and efile 5.

How do I file another return?

@pablisimo61   In the Online version?  Another return for a different person or did you get another tax form for you or need to file for a different  year?

Online is only good for one return per account. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts. Online is only good for 1 return per account. So don't use your account or you will overwrite your return.

Start another Online return here. Sign up and start a new account.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies