turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When can we start filing taxes for tax year 2018 (filed in 2019)

Anyone with EI, CTC, or ACTC by law can not have their refund released until the 15th. So don't expect to see it before then. And it usually takes at least a few days if not a week for the bank to process the DD so add that on. I have read where some say path message means approved and it's just on hold until the 15th (they claimed an irs worker told them that) but I have no idea if it's true. On the irs site it just says path means accepted and after the 15th it will be working on the approved and then deposit day. Luckily unless your return gets pulled most of this stuff is done by computer and is all automated so it doesn't need a person to look over every detail.
anshpo

Anyone know the time table for the Santa Barbara bank? I can't remember from last year and i use my refund to pay for my tax prep. I still have the PATH message, hoping for a DD on the 27th, but I cant remember the process for the Santa Barbara tax group.

@anshpo I remember the past 2 years I would check around 2pm est and it would be on there. I always watched threads for people to start posting they had received their deposit then I start frantically checking SBTPG for mine!! LOL I always update on their site and WMR after I receive my deposit. I had mine deposited into my checking account so people with Net Spend and other cards like that will get theirs first.

I just checked this morning and I still have the Path message.

Checked mine just now. No update, still tax topic 152
bgreg07

has anyone with EITC and Child Credit received a refund yet?

@bgreg07 I haven't ……..i'm in the state of Texas where are you from ?

I’m in Texas and filled both and mines still processing

I filed the EITC and just got my refund at around 1am today. I filed 1/17 was accepted 1/22

Update filed both federal and state on 1/28 fed got accepted on 1/28 state (va) was accepted 1/31... stayed on path message until Feb 15 but could order transcripts the 1st week of Feb but no 846 code... earlier this week checked va wmr for state got dd of 2/28 .. on today I checked federal wmr still saying processing but finally my transcript has code 846 with dd of 2/27.. wmr should update overnight for me to show me date but if not I finally have date on my transcript

There is absolutely no reason to file an early tax return for 2018.

Filing a tax year 2018 tax return will start after January 1, 2019.  However, the IRS will probably not start to accept any 2018 tax return until late January 2019.  Due to the tax code changes and the changes to the federal tax forms it would probably be wise to wait until mid to late February to file the 2018 tax return.

The TurboTax software for tax year 2018 will not be available until sometime in either November or December 2018.  And the software will need several updates before it can be used to file a tax return.  TurboTax has to wait for the IRS to finalize the federal forms and schedules and then must have IRS approval for the forms and schedules included in the TurboTax software.

Addendum 01/04/2019 -

As of this date - The IRS has yet to publish a date in 2019 when they will be accepting any type of  2018 tax return.  It is estimated that the IRS will probably not start to accept any 2018 tax return until late January or early February at the earliest.  Due to the tax code changes, the changes to the federal tax forms and the partial government shut-down, it would probably be wise to wait until mid to late February to file the 2018 tax return.

You cannot file your tax return using TurboTax until all the forms and schedules included in your tax return have been finalized.  Click on the Review tab at the top of the program screen.  The forms and schedules will be listed with the estimated date for being available.

Addendum 01/08/2019 -

The IRS has announced that they will be accepting 2018 tax returns starting on January 28, 2019.

IRS announcement - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28

If your tax return has a tax refund which includes either the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) the IRS is required to hold the tax refund until mid-February due to the PATH Act passed by Congress.  The IRS will release the refund payments during the latter part of February.

rikkt72

what if i filed today?

If you went ahead and filed, you return is going to sit in "pending" on a server until January 28, when the IRS starts to accept/reject returns.  You will get an email after that telling you if you return was accepted or rejected.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I filed my return just getting it done, thinking it wouldn't do anything until like Feb then I got an alert saying it was accepted by irs. I know that doesnt mean much, but I was surprised they took it early. I do have an ip pin so maybe that helps since it helps verify my identity. Maybe a reason they took it early. Who knows. I will update you when 2nd bar shows up on wmr, but i'm thinking I wont see refund until at least 2/3. And that would be nice and early so that would be great!

As stated in another similar question, please be advised that the IRS, every year, does several test runs on a very limited number of filed returns, usually several weeks before commencement of scheduled processing.  This is done to be certain that their systems are performing properly well before the opening of mass processing.  Your filing was one of those few accepted for testing.  General processing still will not start until January 28, 2019.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies