turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received both W2 and 1099 Misc from my company.. Can I report both on same copy of Schedule C or on separate copy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have received both W2 and 1099 Misc from my company.. Can I report both on same copy of Schedule C or on separate copy?

A W-2 does not get reported on any Schedule C as it is not self-employment income.  It is income you received as an employee of  someone else's company, and is reported under the W-2 income section.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

All payments from an employer to an employee are supposed to be treated as wages and included in the employee's W-2. Why did you get a 1099-MISC from the same company where you are a W-2 employee? Employers sometimes erroneously issue a 1099-MISC for special payments such as a bonus, commission, award, or reimbursement, instead of including it in the W-2. If that's what happened, there is a way to report the extra payment correctly on your tax return, in spite of the employer's error.

The only exceptions are if you were an employee and a contractor at different times during the year, or if the 1099-MISC is for a spiff (manufacturer's incentive payment). If it's a spiff, it does not go on Schedule C. There is a special way to report spiffs.

If you were an employee and a contractor at different times, you enter the W-2 and the 1099-MISC as if they are unrelated. You enter the W-2 in the W-2 section, as you would for any other job, and you enter the 1099-MISC as business income, which will go on Schedule C.

If it's any other situation, post back with the details of what the 1099-MISC payment is for and which box of the 1099-MISC the income is in, and I will give you detailed step-by-step instructions for how to enter it correctly in TurboTax.

As a "statutory employee". I received both W2 and 1099-Misc from same employer.  Box 7 (nonemployee compensation) was reported in  the 1099-Misc. I have Schedule C (Copy 1)  to report the W2 income, and Schedule C (Copy 2)) to report the 1099-Misc. Is it ok to report both incomes  together on  one single copy of Schedule C, instead of two repeated copies?

instead of two separated copies

A W-2 does not get reported on any Schedule C as it is not self-employment income.  It is income you received as an employee of  someone else's company, and is reported under the W-2 income section.

As a "statutory employee". I received both W2 and 1099-Misc from same employer.  Box 7 (nonemployee compensation) was reported in  the 1099-Misc. I have Schedule C (Copy 1)  to report the W2 income, and Schedule C (Copy 2)) to report the 1099-Misc. Is it ok to report both incomes  together on  one single copy of Schedule C, instead of two repeated copies?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

They must be reported on separate copies of Schedule C. You cannot combine them.

The IRS instructions for Schedule C say the following (page C-5).

"If you had both self-employment income and statutory employee income, you must file two Schedules C. You cannot use Schedule C-EZ or combine these amounts on a single Schedule C."
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Note that the 1099-MISC income is subject to self-employment tax. The W-2 income is not subject to self-employment tax because Social Security and Medicare taxes were withheld from it.
Ryno10

Thanks for helping me understand the unique way that I have to submit two separate Schedule C forms as a statuatory employee. On which Schedule C do I list my expenses? 

ejweiss

I received a W2 and 1099 Misc.  The W2 is more for the handling of benefits.  The 1099 is payment of commissions.

It would be good if I could combine the two since they are both related to my sales position.  It is also messing up my state return for my business. (insurance sales / investment advisor).

Thank you, Ellis

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

See RJS's original answer above.  If you are an employee, everything should be reported to you on a W2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jdusky11

I have this same situation. My husband got a W-2 from his employer but also a 1099-MISC for a commission payment (box 7). Can I show this on my return without it being self employment?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This should all be reported on a W2.  I would ask your employer for a corrected W2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rande1359

Hi! Did you ever receive a solution to this issue? I have the same question.

Thank you! 

No taxes were withheld from income or are reported on the W-2. I need to report the income on Schedule C in order to claim expenses and reduce the taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies