turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it better to Fax requested forms to IRS or mail them, which is faster response?

This is to send in two forms on my mailed-in filed 2016 1040 (filed late) that they SAY are missing but which WERE included in the return. They say you will not receive acknowledgement on the fax; at least if I mail them I can track receipt.  But seems like people on here fax things in all the time no problem and by calling can get a confirmation they were received.  I'm suspicious they'll say they didn't get the fax, because it seems like they are just trying to find a reason to delay my large refund since I know beyond a doubt these forms were indeed part of my filed return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
CaraLO

Is it better to Fax requested forms to IRS or mail them, which is faster response?

I have included a link to the IRS site that explains exactly where to mail in specific forms as requested:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-tax-returns-addresses-listed-by-return-type

This does not address the question.
CaraLO

The only thing that makes faxing faster is the 2-3 days of mail time that is not incurred.  Faxing the forms in does not increase the speed with which the IRS will process the information.  You will have access to the fax confirmation that you will get when the fax goes through, which will show the number of pages, etc.  Additionally, like you said, if you mail it you will have tracking information on the envelope, but no documentation of how many pages or what pages where sent.  The choice would be yours of course... we can't advise which way would be better.  If you were provided with a fax number, that should be ok to use.  Then, you could continue to monitor your process with the IRS link to check your refund:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp">https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfo...>
I hope that helps, however, you are more than welcome to send additional clarification/information and we can try to assist you further.

Thank you.  I was advised today that faxed in info still takes up to 30 days to get a response so yes, just the eliminated mail time.
CaraLO

You are welcome!  🙂

Like know why I haven't got my refund still filled taxes end Jan had fax paper froff in insurance paper Feb 24 I still haven got my refund why ?its now June 17 said the IRS place that gets faxes wasn't open are they now ?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@Jeanette brown

Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, the refund process is completely under the control of the IRS. The IRS says that most refunds would be issued within 21 days. But some returns need more processing and refunds will take longer, especially during these Covid-19 times when some IRS agents still work remotely.

Please read this IRS FAQ for more information.

This IRS document outlines IRS operations during Covid-19 times.

Please be patient, the situation will get better soon as some IRS agents are returning to their desks. You can check the status of your refund at this IRS web portal.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We keep being told to be patient, but the landlord ain't patient. These hungry kids ain't patient. These bill collectors ain't patient. Maybe you need to talk to them instead of us.

Very true! It's almost impossible to be patient in this situation.

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 and then 4 …       

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

My 10/14 received (per USPS) return still hasn’t been processed and debating when to call them… Irs.gov site still says not filed. Can I fax my return again, instead of calling? 

A tax return cannot be faxed ever so  that is not an option. 

And mailed in returns have been taking 6 months or more to process due to the backlog. So a phone call will be your only option.

Try  calling to check the status of your refund at the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

If they can't assist you can try the Tax Advocate in your state. most are working remotely and have a backlog. 

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

Wow the website still says 6 weeks for paper returns I didn't realize it was 6 months now. I'll wait a bit longer and then call. 

Like the Op this was for the 2016 tax year so I am concerned about the three-year statute of limitations for refunds I do have the USPS tracking showing it was received October 14th 2020 in Fresno. 

The postmark on your envelope is what they go by ... so if you filed it timely the delay will not be a worry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies