Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have bought a new computer and would like to copy TurboTax software for previous years from the old computer to the new computer. Please advise.

You do need each year's program installed to open the .tax file.  Like to open a .tax2018 return you need the 2018 program.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

isurft
Returning Member

I have bought a new computer and would like to copy TurboTax software for previous years from the old computer to the new computer. Please advise.

I hit wrong button, that wasn’t my question.

i just purchased software to file my 2018 Taxes. My Dad paid for with his credit card. I put his name and billing address on my order and now it says his name on my order for 2018 software when it’s suppose to be me, Kimberle Naughten.

Do I need to speak with the billing Dept?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does the name matter?  It shouldn't affect anything.  Can you download the program?  

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

gzalatan

how do i copy my old file to a new computer

There is a program called "EaseUS ToDo PC Trans Pro" that lets you transfer programs from one computer to another using an image file. Need to connect both computers via ethernet cable, which might be beyond some people's comfort level. 

Copying the tax files is easy. Just get a flashdrive and copy files to it, then take to other computer and copy them there. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For info on how to securely move your tax data file to your new computer please click the link below.

How do I move my tax data file to another computer ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mikecour

I transferred my 2019 taxes from my old computer to a new one but only got the forms which I don't think will transfer next year to my 2020 taxes. I believe I need to transfer  the Turbo Tax program in order to do this, I have lost the CD. Do I need to get another one? if so, what is the process once I get it. Thanks for your help Mike. [email address removed]

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@mikecour 

You do not need the 2019 TurboTax program in order to transfer your information to your 2020 tax return. All you need is the .tax2019 data file for your 2019 tax return.

Godbless1952
Returning Member

Please provide the steps to do this??? [email address removed]

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a PDF file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and PDF files are stored.  Then copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.  Those can always be at least read by any system, even if they can't be used directly by the program.

Especially....if you are upgrading to Windows 10....there is no guarantee that any of the 2014...or prior year tax programs will run at all on W-10.  That has yet to be determined...

Save the PDF for each year twice.

1) Once as the tax return for filing   (this contains just the filing tax forms)

2) Again as the tax return, but with ALL the forms and worksheets (this contains all of your worksheets and shows all  of your entries on some form or another).

The selection of the bare tax return, or the extended tax return with everything is made during the Save-to-PDF process.

And back those PDFs up to a backup USB or CD....every year we get tons of folks begging for access to a tax return on a crashed disk....TTX doesn't have it...only you do when you use the desktop software.

See this TurboTax support FAQ concerning moving tax files to a new computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-computer

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

Always remember to shut off the auto update function once you have filed your returns and do not do any updates unless you have safeguarded the PDF & .taxfiles to a removable storage unit for safekeeping.

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

I need to get the previous downloads, all of which were down loaded from the web using links from your emails each year.  Can I get the old link addresses or some technical direction to do this?  Is this a problem that requires a phone call?

Thank you,

Tim Erickson   

If you need to download your program…..
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

Access your downloads here
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

If you can't find your download, use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

GRC_1041

My old computer with Turbotax Deluxe year 2020 is not working properly.  How do I get my CD copy of this software loaded on my new computer?  When I attempted to do it it hung up on "activate" and went no further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies