turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mshah111

I have bought a new computer and would like to copy TurboTax software for previous years from the old computer to the new computer. Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have bought a new computer and would like to copy TurboTax software for previous years from the old computer to the new computer. Please advise.

You can't copy the software from one computer to another. You have to install it on the new computer from the CD or download for each year.

You can copy your tax return data files to the new computer. They have the file name extension .tax20yy, where yy is the year. For example, the file name extension is .tax2015 for your 2015 tax return, .tax2016 for your 2016 return, etc. The default location for the .tax20yy data files is My Documents/TurboTax, but you could have saved them in a different folder.

View solution in original post

66 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't copy the software from one computer to another. You have to install it on the new computer from the CD or download for each year.

You can copy your tax return data files to the new computer. They have the file name extension .tax20yy, where yy is the year. For example, the file name extension is .tax2015 for your 2015 tax return, .tax2016 for your 2016 return, etc. The default location for the .tax20yy data files is My Documents/TurboTax, but you could have saved them in a different folder.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2014, .tax2015, .tax2016 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer

If you are moving to a Mac from Windows or to Windows from Mac you will need to install the right program.  If you have the CD it has both windows and Mac programs on it.  If you downloaded the program you might need to call in and ask for the other download. Unless you have both downloads in your account already.
rocelp

I also have the same problem.  My old laptop had a cd drive, which is now broken.  The new one doesn't.  I transferred all turbotax files to my new laptop.  I am trying to find the folder to where the turbotax program was installed and perhaps execute that file to my new one?  I looked under "Program Files", but I can't locate it.  Or is this not possible?

Sorry, as I said the programs need to be installed from the CD or download.  Maybe if you call in they can put the download in your account.  Where did you buy the CD?  If you are on the Turbo Tax Advantage plan you also have the download.

Contact Customer Service 5am-5pm Pacific M-F

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

rocelp

I bought the CD at Costco.

rocelp

I will just go ahead and run the CD at another laptop I have that has a cd-rom.  I wanted to see what my taxes would have been if I added more income, to prep for next year.  Just to confirm, it is not possible to execute program from explorer directory?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

That's right. You cannot transfer the TurboTax program directories and run them on the new computer. You have to install the TurboTax software on the new computer from the CD or a download.

I saved my TurboTax file for 2019 into Documents in the Cloud. 

Now when I turn on my new computer I can see the document in the Cloud but I cannot open it because I do not have TurboTax application installed on the new computer

When I go to TurboTax it wants me to purchase the download to the new computer but I already purchased the 2019 Premier on the old computer.

So do I have to buy the application again or just use the old computer for 2019 taxes?

Really would like to use the new computer as it is an Apple MacBookAir 2019 while my old one is a MacBook Air 2012.

Help

Thanks/Richard Conant

So I have to repurchase the application for the new computer?

No.  If you bought the Desktop CD/Download program you can install it on 5 computers.  Install it the same way as you did on the first computer.  If you have the CD but don't have a CD drive you can download the program.  

How to install Turbo Tax if you don't have a CD drive

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

You can copy the tax return data file that ends in .tax2019.

To transfer 2018 data to new computer I think you need to install 2018 software on new computer and then transfer the data.  Make sure the transfer worked. Then install 2019 software. Then when you do your 2019 taxes the 2018 data should transfer over to make doing your taxes a bit easier. That isn't clear from most of the posts.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@ROBERTINSEATTLE wrote:

To transfer 2018 data to new computer I think you need to install 2018 software on new computer and then transfer the data.

You do not have to install the 2018 software in order to transfer information from your 2018 tax return when you start your 2019 tax return. You just need the .tax2018 data file and the 2019 software.

brigadoon02
Returning Member

when I copied turbo tax file from old computer to new computer  windows 10 the PDF files were fine but the tax files are not readable. when I install turbo tax 2019 will they be readable. I have all the previous years cds.

@brigadoon02 wrote:

when I copied turbo tax file from old computer to new computer  windows 10 the PDF files were fine but the tax files are not readable. when I install turbo tax 2019 will they be readable. I have all the previous years cds.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies