turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have 2 w2's what happens if i dont file one?

I forgot about a W2 when I filed my taxes on the 24th. I think the total amount earned was less than $100, (part time job that I got at the end of the year) so it likely wouldn't make a difference on my return. Wondering if I should expect a delay because of this. My refund was accepted but hasn't been approved yet and I feel like it's been approved faster than this in previous years.

I got a return of barely over 100$, and then got another W2 that will only give around the same amount. Should I even bother? I doubt I'll owe anything with that little.
neke2008

My e-file just says received and processing
hanpan1982
Returning Member

I have a W2 of about $2500 wages that came after I filed, I used the TT amendment tool it actually gave me an extra refund of $85 if it were included. Do you think IRS will send me a notice?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Possibly. Once you mail the amended return, the IRS takes about 16 weeks to process. You could, theoretically, get a notice in that time frame. Otherwise, you would get your first refund check during the first 3 weeks from filing followed by the additional refund check from the amendment in an additional 16 weeks.

CamelionK

I forgot that I worked for a couple weeks at a local business in January 2019 (I thought I quit in December..oops), and I just received the W-2 in the mail after I have already filed my taxes online. I didn't earn enough in this month to even have any Federal taxes withheld. There was however, about $54 withheld for medicare/social security taxes. Do I need to worry about amending my return if there weren't even any Federal taxes taken out? 

Does it show income in box 1?  Then you need to report it.  You might owe more tax since they didn't take any out.  It will add to your total income and might push you into a higher tax bracket and increase the tax on your return.  Which might reduce your refund.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should amend your tax return when that option is available. It doesn't matter if you don't think you get more money back.

You won't be able to amend your 2019 tax return until mid-February, or after you get your refund, whichever comes later.

This is how you do it in Turbo Tax Online:

1. Sign in to your Turbo Tax account.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents, click Show on the right.
  3. Select 2019 and then click Amend (change) return.
  4. Once you get to the screen that asks what you need to change, select the topic that applies to your situation.
  5. Carefully follow the instructions to finish your return. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns. If you will get more money back by amending, the refund box will show you the amount. If you owe money because of your changes, the number will be in red.
  6. When finished, follow the instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

Keep in mind, the amendment is a separate tax return from your original return. If your original return shows a refund, you will still get that refund.

If your amended return shows a refund too, you will get a second refund.

If your amendment shows that you owe, it is because your original refund was too high and you have to pay back part of it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CamelionK

Yes, I made $700. My return was accepted, so I guess I need to amend when I get my refund. Should I not touch my refund money until the amended return is taken care of? I just don't see how $700 is going to make a difference in either direction. I'm happy to file an amendment, but should I expect to be paying a lot of taxes from a $700 W-2? That seems odd to me. I don't want to use any of my refund if I'm going to be asked to give any of it back obviously. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

You are very wise to not immediately spend the refund that is coming from your first filing.

However, when you create your 1040X to amend your return, you'll see at that point if you have to give any of the refund back. 

You will be able to amend your return when the form 1040X becomes available. Please see this TurboTax FAQ and follow the instructions when the link to the 2019 instructions appears.

CamelionK

Oh okay, so I will see if I have to give anything back, before the amendment is actually mailed in. That makes me feel MUCH better! Thank you!

Tref0r

That information is incorrect. 4 years ago I didnt file one of my w2s, and I have yet to receive any notice whatsoever.

Tref0r

4 or 5 years ago I forgot to file a w2 as well. I would have had to owe like $200. Then turbo tax glitched and force closed and I went to finish filing and then realized turbo tax didnt have that second w2 in there so I actually got a refund that year. Havent heard anything to date.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

That is not typical these days.  The IRS computers match W2s and other income documents filed by employers to individual returns.  If there is something missing or different the return is flagged and a letter is typically generated.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

I agree. While some taxpayers may benefit from the exceptional case, it is still the rule that you report all income. If the IRS got a copy of your W-2, then the IRS knows that you got it, and they - eventually - may wonder where that money is. 

We have to advise you as to the proper process in any case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies