Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bay-tay32

I elected to pay my owed state tax with my federal return, but am being asked how i would like to pay my state tax. Is there a way around this page or what should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I elected to pay my owed state tax with my federal return, but am being asked how i would like to pay my state tax. Is there a way around this page or what should I do?

NO.  You misunderstood.  It is not possible to pay the state tax due from a federal refund.  You can only have  the Turbo Tax fees deducted from your refund.

The state tax can not be deducted from the federal refund. NEVER. You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted. You will still get the full federal refund minus any fees you had deducted. Turbo Tax just shows you a screen at the end showing the Net amount of federal and state combined. But it is just for your own info. You do still have to pay the state yourself separately. See,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbo Tax logo. If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay. Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You misunderstood.  State taxes owed can Never be paid from the federal tax refund.  You must pay the state taxes as indicated.

Only the TurboTax account fees can be paid from the federal tax refund if you choose that option.

NO.  You misunderstood.  It is not possible to pay the state tax due from a federal refund.  You can only have  the Turbo Tax fees deducted from your refund.

The state tax can not be deducted from the federal refund. NEVER. You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted. You will still get the full federal refund minus any fees you had deducted. Turbo Tax just shows you a screen at the end showing the Net amount of federal and state combined. But it is just for your own info. You do still have to pay the state yourself separately. See,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbo Tax logo. If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay. Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

bay-tay32

The amount for the state tax was taken out of the federal return. It shows less money than the federal return number at the top of the screen

@bay-tay32 wrote:

The amount for the state tax was taken out of the federal return. It shows less money than the federal return number at the top of the screen

That is only for display purposes to show the total of your refund.  It does not mean the state taxes owed are being deducted from the federal refund.

Furma17

Mine is doing the same thing but will I be getting the smaller refund amount it’s displaying on the screen? If so that means I’ve paid for state taxes twice? My return says one amount but the smaller number at the top that says I will be getting back is that amount minus what I owed in state. Just trying to make sure I will be getting my correct amount returned. 

@Furma17 

The “summary” given to you by TurboTax must have confused you.  That summary just nets out the difference between a refund you are getting and an amount you owe.   Or it adds two refunds or tax “due” amounts together.

The federal and state treasuries are completely separate from each other.  

Your state tax due cannot be paid from a federal refund.

And….your federal tax due cannot be paid from a state refund.  

Neither refund can be used to pay the amount due to the other one.

If you owe tax due, you have to pay it yourself by the filing deadline on April 15, 2024.

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, (which has the address printed on it, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone... 

To apply for a payment plan with the IRS

Apply Online for a Payment Plan

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Federal and state are completely separate.  Turbo Tax just shows you the net combined but that is only for your own information.  You will still get the full Refund and need to pay the tax due.  Look at the cover sheet to see how you elected to pay the tax due.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies