turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

i can not efile because of form 8582

I got a three minute update from TT on Maryland Taxes this morning, February 12 @10AM. Finally I was able to print my Maryland Tax Return. I wish to thank all who joined me in this effort. I had contact on a regular basis with a very nice lady in the Maryland Comptroller's E-File division. She worked very hard on the issue and  informed this morning (a Saturday!) that yesterday the State had approved TT's changes to the Maryland Tax Forms. Truly a team effort!

I can not e-file  because the system keeps asking me to complete IRS form 8582 which has no meaning to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have the turbotax deluxe.  In the top right hand corner across from the Federal Refund and Maryland Refund tabs there are three titled tabs, Forms, Flags, Notitifications. Click on the Forms tabs, afterwards the Form 8582 automatic appears on screen.  Scroll through the form and see if there are any amounts listed on the Form.  If so, go to the column(s) the amount(s) are on and right click your mouse until see other options appear which will show the override option.  Click override to the delete any amounts if generated on the form, then down the bottom click close form.  Once the amounts were deleted the form immediately was gone and I was able to continue to file taxes. Of course, this only applies if the form is not related to your taxes. I filed a MD tax form.

View solution in original post

Sharing this in the hopes it helps others...because it helped me:

I was able to just file my state taxes after previously e-filing only my  federal taxes on Monday .  The solution was to get to the point where your state tax review throws the error.  From there click "FORMS" in top right heading/banner to enter the "step by step instructions and to pull up the form (8582)".  If you have "0" typed on the form or any other dollar amount, you need to right click mouse and choose override  and then use your delete key to remove the amount.  After this was done, it solved the problem and let me file my MD state taxes at 10:14am and they were subsequently ACCEPTED at 12:52pm.

So it worked for me.....and I hope this works for y'all!

Koofie

I have the desktop version (home & office for mac) and just got my MD forms filed after an hour of trying. I went to the forms button on the top left and then clicked errors. Alternately I also found it by scrolling down once I clicked the "open form" button at the top. I couldn't' right (or left) click but I highlighted the offending zero and then using the edit button at the top of the program I was able to find the "override" command and delete the zero. That allowed me to file my MD return (I'd already filed my federal return). I hope this helps someone! While I put in my calendar to file my MD return on the 10th, that doesn't mean I'd have actually done it!

LadyS30

What I did was when I got to the state part I deleted it and started that section completely over. If none of the credits they ask about applies to you keep going. Once I was finished nothing came up about form 8582 and I was able to file successfully! Hope this works for anyone else with this issue!! 

People using the TT mobile app or TT online do not have those options only those who have the software on a desktop. I just ended up filing mine thru MD tax website 

I just got off the phone with TT they said it should be fixed, if you are using the app you can efile nationwide on Feb 10.

I found that you can bypass the 8582 error by using right click, inspect, and editing the code for the "0" in the top left corner of the 8582 Form and the "0" in box 9. I'm using a macbook and I'm not sure how that would look on PC. 

You can delete the zero from both areas using the inspect dialog box. It should bypass Form 8582 and will file both the State and Federal return. 

Ok so for everyone having trouble go to the desktop site go ALL THE WAY TO THE POINT where you're getting ready to file it won't work if you're not at the filing point, confirm your payments and all that then once that last error pops up, right click on the 0 on line 9 then proceed to inspect on the right side of the screen some texts will pop up hover over the texts that highlights line 9 with the 0 then proceed to either delete the whole thing or double click on text where it say disable="disabled" then delete that, then proceed to delete the 0 out of the box then hit continue from there u should be able to file because that's what I did now my state is currently pending to be accepted

I finally got it to work for me.

I had to delete the "disable-disabled" line on the right, then it let me edit the actual form. I deleted the 0 from the form itself and hit continue. It went through!

Despite the fact that Form 8582 was supposed to be updated on the 10th, this issue persists.  I am an actively licensed CPA who uses TurboTax for personal and family returns (I am NOT a tax accountant and do NOT do returns for others) and I am astounded at the lack of ability of Intuit to address this issue in a timely and satisfactory manner.  Unlike many of you who are using a workaround by zeroing/deleting everything, I do have PAL from a rental property and hence cannot use this approach.

It is shameful that Intuit continues to suggest that this error is related to an updated federal form that is creating incompatibility, as this problem is not being reported for other filing methods/software packages.  Instead, this seems to be a case of pure incompetence.  Initially I delayed my federal filing several days with the hope that this would quickly be resolved and I could file federal and state together.  After a few days, I went ahead and filed my federal return - the refund has already been approved - and still I am unable to file MD through TurboTax.  It is getting ridiculous and yes, I know I could use other means of filing but ultimately, I paid for this product and expect it to perform as it should.  

If this is not resolved in short order, this will be my last TurboTax year.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Form 8582 is used to figure the amount of any passive activity loss, where you are not actively engaged in a business or investment, such as losses from rentals.

If this is in your Maryland tax return, our team is still working to resolve an error message in some Maryland state returns that give an error message about Form 8582 and the Activity Sheet needing an update, even if there are no passive losses to report.

If the federal forms are all finalized and the federal is ready to e-file, you can choose to file just the federal return at this time, then come back when your state forms are ready and e-file that return. The filing date for tax year 2021 Maryland state returns was extended to July 15th, 2022.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen
  2. Select Change next to your state return
  3. On the Change filing method screen
  4. Select I'm not ready to file
  5. Click Save

Note, if you don't e-file them together, you do have to wait until the federal is accepted before you can e-file the state. Sometimes this takes a day or even two.

Here is a TurboTax Help article with directions for when you return to file your state return.

File State after the Federal is Filed

If this is not a Maryland state return error message, to clarify, please let us know if it is in the federal return or a different state. This will help us investigate the message. If you do not have any passive activity, we would like to take a deeper look at this. It would help to have a diagnostic file, which is a sanitized copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed but has all of the forms and numbers entered. You can send one to us by following the directions below and posting the token number here so we can access the sanitized return.

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your online account.
  2. Click on Tax Tools on the left tool bar
  3. Select Tools
  4. In the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent”
  5. Click OK on the message that a diagnostic file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
  6. Please provide the Token Number.

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click the Online tab in top menu bar
  3. Select “Send Tax File to Agent
  4. Click Send on the message and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
  5. Please provide the Token Number.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, I see they are trying to keep us from emailing corporate press relations.

Go to press room, find press relations folks (ashley mcmahon and Lisa Green Lewis).  Their email addresses are on the page.

Intuit®: Press Room Information

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. Our team is working to resolve the error message for Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations during Review of state returns and now expects to have this updated by March 3rd. Please try your return in Review on or after March 4th.

• If you have the desktop version of TurboTax, please be sure it updates when you launch the program.
  • If you have TurboTax Online and it still gives this error message, please sign out of TurboTax, clear your cache and cookies, or try another browser, then sign back in and take it through Review. Please see this Help article for directions to clear your cache and cookies. Clearing cache and cookies in your browser 

If the federal forms are all finalized and it is ready to e-file, you can choose to file just the federal return at this time, then come back when your state forms are ready and e-file that return.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen
  2. Select Change next to your state return
  3. On the Change filing method screen
  4. Select I'm not ready to file
  5. Click Save 

Note, if you don't e-file them together, you do have to wait until the federal is accepted before you can e-file the state. Sometimes this takes a day or even two. Here is a TurboTax Help article with directions for when you return to file your state return.

File State after the Federal is Filed

This list of state form availability will be updated. Please select the type of TurboTax you are using and your state, to see when forms are expected. State Tax Forms Availability Dates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

347 Replies

I'm having the same issue with form 8621

The  8582 should be functional in the next couple of days.

But the TT program doesn't support the 8621 ... 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8621.pdf

I understand that.  But the program is saying I need one when I don't.  I don't know where the idea generated from.

I am having the same issue.  It appears to be connected to my Maryland State tax filing.  I am getting the following message when I try to complete the return and efile Federal and State taxes:

"Form 8582: Activity Description - This form is not ready to be filed due a (sic) change in the federal form. It should be available soon."

I do not file form 8582.  I do not have any passive activities.  What's going on?

Last year it was the schedule C and now this form 8582.  I hope its ready soon....because its stopping me as well and I do not even own rental properties. Does anyone know if this is limited to just us in MD?

I think I found the answer--In Maryland there is a problem with State Tax Division. I got around the problem, at least for now by NOT asking for the Maryland tax to be e-filed for now. When I only e-filed the US 1040, it went through. Apparently Maryland is trying to resolve issue. Will try re e-file for Maryland next week.

Thanks so much for this .... I'm going to wait a few days to see if MD fixes the problem.  If not I will do the same.  Thanks for the tip.

Mine says the Exact same thing. I called the IRS and then MD Comptroller. IRS of course could not give me much info since the issue arises within my state return. I called the comptroller and waited on hold for 15 minutes just for the rep to get on the line and tell me some one would call me back and took down my info. As if life isn't stressful enough at this very moment 

hi, I e-filed the Federal tax form and apparently we  have to wait until February 10th to e-file Maryland. when you get to the part about e-file, delete the e-file from Maryland form. When i did this, it took my Federal tax return.  if you can get it; care-cdn.productsupportsite.a.intuit.com   Maryland Individual Forms

I’m having the same issue they say it’s just for Maryland and should be fixed by 2/10 and the live expert told me to just file my federal then come back and try my state taxes after that day. 

Same issue with me and same message. Its now January 31st and it still says form will be available soon but I don't even file this form and have no PAL at all what so ever. Anyone get this fixed? Also it won't let you delete the form either. 

Jpluto

Same exact issue

ditto. I guess i will wait a bit. 

I did figure some of the problem out.  When you get to the e-file part, delete the check for Maryland e-file and only do the Federal e-file. That worked for me. Apparently Maryland will fix the problem February 10th. Then we can delete the Maryland 8582. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies