Solved: I am married and my spouse does not work. We file jointly. Can I claim in the section "If married and if exemption for spouse is allowed, write the figure 4"

I am married and my spouse does not work. We file jointly. Can I claim in the section "If married and if exemption for spouse is allowed, write the figure 4"

Probably yes, although you might want to check the MAss tax web site for a full list of instructions for the M-4.  The exemption for your spouse would normally be allowed UNLESS you were in an unusual situation such as, newly married their parents want to claim the spouse as an exemption for one more year, or you were married filing separately with your spouse being employed.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

Where are you seeing that?  We cannot see your screen.

Are you completing a W-4 for your employer? No such question is asked in the program.

Yes I am trying to fill M-4 form.
Where could I find help regarding this?

What is an M-4?  Are you working on something for Canada?  This is the U.S. site.

Massachusetts Form M-4, Employee's Withholding Exemption Certificate.

@DoninGA Thanks for translating!  Sometimes our psychic powers are not up to the task.

😉