turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am married and my spouse does not work. We file jointly. Can I claim in the section "If married and if exemption for spouse is allowed, write the figure 4"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am married and my spouse does not work. We file jointly. Can I claim in the section "If married and if exemption for spouse is allowed, write the figure 4"

Probably yes, although you might want to check the MAss tax web site for a full list of instructions for the M-4.  The exemption for your spouse would normally be allowed UNLESS you were in an unusual situation such as, newly married their parents want to claim the spouse as an exemption for one more year, or you were married filing separately with your spouse being employed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Where are you seeing that?  We cannot see your screen.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Are you completing a W-4 for your employer? No such question is asked in the program.

Yes I am trying to fill M-4 form.
Where could I find help regarding this?

What is an M-4?  Are you working on something for Canada?  This is the U.S. site.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Massachusetts Form M-4, Employee's Withholding Exemption Certificate.

@DoninGA Thanks for translating!  Sometimes our psychic powers are not up to the task.

Probably yes, although you might want to check the MAss tax web site for a full list of instructions for the M-4.  The exemption for your spouse would normally be allowed UNLESS you were in an unusual situation such as, newly married their parents want to claim the spouse as an exemption for one more year, or you were married filing separately with your spouse being employed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies