CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

So I had mailed in a tax return. On line 8 of schedule 1 I had Gambling winnings of $8,000 which I wrote there and listed on the line $8,000. On the second line below it I wrote out how that broke out 

For supplemental detail

I.e W2G 5,500 , Non W2G 2,500

did I make an error writing that on the second line and the IRS will think my other income line should be 16,000 and not 8,000. 

someone tell me I am over thinking it

MMTaxMM

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Important thing is if you then added the amounts on line 8 together to get $16k on line 9. If not then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

If you only won $8K and line 8 of the Sch 1  now shows a total of $16K then yes you goofed up so amending the return when the original return has fully processed will be required. 

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

I did not. I put in words on the two lines 

Gambling 8000

W2G 5500 Non W2G 2500 

the second line is as the supplemental info

then on the actual line where you put the dollars I put 8000

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Gambling 8000

W2G 5500 Non W2G 2500 

then on the actual box where you put the dollars I put 8000

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Not sure what you entered or how it was entered  in the program so just LOOK at the Sch 1 line 8 ... what is listed there ?   If it is only $8000 then you are fine.  

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Did you use Turbo Tax or fill out your return by hand on the blank forms?

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

In the actual box where the dollars are inputted on the right side it’s 8000 .

I just put additional writing description of the breakout on the freehand line (this was more for my own records showing that my 8000 is compromised of two pieces)

so on the actual part where you list the other income in words I put gambling 8000 ( w2g 5500, non w2g 2500). And yes I reported more than the IRS was told like an honest American 

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

I used TT but had to mail it in. I just had gambling listed as 8000 but I hand wrote with a pen under the gambling income in words was the breakout for my records. 

fanfare

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Generally if Schedule 1 line 8 is combined amount of several items,

you can put "See Attached" and then attach a statement to the back or your return listing all the items and totaling the amount.

If your description fits in the space provided on Schedule 1, you don't need an attachment.

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

this is fine as long as the 8000 which is what is in the calculation box.?

Mike9241

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

a mailed return has to be manually processed.  so if only $8K was listed in the amount column hopefully the agent dealing with the return will be smart enough to figure out that the detail is not additional.

CuriousWhale

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

I guess if they are not smart enough and do double it would my simplest option be to

Pay the extra $1500 or so in tax to stop the penalty and interest and then file an amended return to get it back?

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

Writing in the margins for your information is fine on the copy YOU keep  and all you can do is wait and see what the data input operator does with the extra information.  If they don't ignore it then you can amend the return later.  Just sit tight since mailed in returns can take months to process.

Hal_Al

How to write on line 8 of schedule 1

You may be over thinking it.  

It is a common thing to do, to put the details on the dotted line, to the left of line 8 (of Schedule 1), titled "List type and amount'.  The IRS only goes by the amount on the right hand part of line 8. 

But it would have been better had you  just put:  W2G 5500, Non W2G  gambling 2500 and left off the Gambling 8000.