turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HazBro

How do I open all my old turbotax returns 1999-2016? Without having to install all my old versions of turbotax?

All the software makers should release a reader that allows for old returns to be read and printed.

And all those - on this thread and elsewhere -  who say "You should have..." obviously don't understand that problems arise requiring a means to remedy.

I tried to resurrect an old computer running Windows XP in order to try to print old my old tax returns (needed for a reason, but none of anyone's business what that reason is), installed the programs (as I had the old CDs), but a) couldn't get the software to even run, b) when I could get the program to run in some cases it required activation and the Intuit link no longer worked, and c) if I could get past these issues, I couldn't get the program to correctly read my returns because the state modules were no longer available.

So yup, I agree: it sucks. But I do confess to being somewhat surprised. This lack of archival returns support won't matter to the IRS if one is on the hook for something that goes back more than just a few years.

My summation: it not only sucks, it's utter BS. Intuit (and other tax software sellers) got its money. The IRS will figure out a way to get its money. And, as always, we are the ones left holding the bag.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

How do I open all my old turbotax returns 1999-2016? Without having to install all my old versions of turbotax?

Depending on what information you are trying to access from your previous returns, you can print off a free transcript of your returns through the IRS,gov website. Click here to access your tax return information.

HazBro

I appreciate the feedback/reply.

I have an account with the IRS. But I might - at some point - need returns that go way back; far, far earlier than the 2016 the IRS makes available. Hence, my frustration; the IRS will expect me to defend my returns yet neither the IRS nor Intuit (and the other tax software people) will assist with archival materials.

It is what it is, I guess.

Did you see the link I posted above?

You could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

OR get a copy from the IRS -

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

tnparson

How to open my 2019 2020 Turbotax return

@tnparson  Are you using the Desktop program (Windows or Mac?) or the Online version?  Didn't you save them as pdf files?  If you used the Desktop program you need to have the .tax2019 and .tax2020 files on your computer to open in the program.  If you only have the .tax files you need the program installed to open them.  

If I've already paid for the states (2019) why do I have to pay again to just print my old taxes? This is a rip-off.

Thanks for the reply but I've already downloaded the, I've paid for NY(paid), PA(paid), and GA (Free) is my main. So, now it has PA as my main and asking for GA to be paid. This is nonsense. 

You need to call in and get that straightened out.  Guess you should have tried to download GA first as the free state again.

Contact Customer Service

(You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632 

haha called twice and after 5 mins of waiting for each call, the person dropped my calls - twice. I heard the person in the background and a dog. LOL - Pretty sure, I'm changing tax software next year. Thanks for your help.

I would try starting over.  Uninstall the program and all the states.  Then reinstall it.  Start a new fake return and only enter GA as a state to download it as the free one.  Then go download the paid states.

How to uninstall Turbo Tax from a Windows computer

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/uninstall-turbotax-windows/00/25643

If you are having trouble uninstalling and reinstalling the program see this….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

@DawnC   hi,  can a moderator help this user and check his support calls?  Did I suggest the right thing to try?

@VolvoGirl, thanks for the several replies to this, not only to me, but to others who've brought their own problems and issues out.

First, yes, I tried a variety of ways to open the pdf files created by TurboTax, and nne worked. Neither did healing them, as one program offered to do. So, that's not a viable option, even if I had made pdf's of all the returns.

Second, Yea I visited TaxPrinter service. They want $50 for each file. Good business for them, I guess. I don't think they offer any assurance that they can actually open the files and provide anything useful. And of course, there's the privacy issue, which is why I don't do taxes (or much else) on-line.

Third, Most of the versions of TurboTax I used, I have copies of on CD. The first problem with that is finding a CD reader. But, he said sarcastically, why bother? Most of them won't run on even a five year-old computer. They are incompatible with the hardware and the OS's now being used. This is probably the biggest problem of all. And Intuit at least finally recognizes the shallow shore of the problem when they told us (in TT2020) that soon the software wouldn't run unless macOS was updated.

I can't speak to the others of your recommendations, save to say Good on you for at least trying.

Thanks!

ltran9881

I lost CD turbo tax 2016 ,how do I open turbotax file 2016

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies