Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I find out my 5 digit code from last year that they want me to put in

@75rojas wrote:

Need my pin number didnt get one 

If you need your 5-digit e-filing PIN, there is a way to see it but you need to have a copy of Turbotax installed on your own computer.  If you are using Turbotax online, it will automatically carry over if you use the same online account this year as last year.

If you need a 6 digit identity protection PIN, you can only get that from the IRS. 

dedem123

I need last years 5 digit pin and I don't remember it

@dedem123 

IDENTITY PIN

Per the  IRS:

Taxpayers who previously have been issued an Identity Protection PIN but lost it, must use the Get an IP PIN tool to retrieve their numbers. Taxpayers who have an IP PIN need to provide it when they file their return or if they are using the Non-Filer tool to enter their Economic Impact Payment information. You were asked for your 2018 AGI so that you can e-file 2019.  The 2018 AGI is how the IRS verifies your identity--they match up the SSN and the 2018 AGI with the person trying to e-file a 2019 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I need my 5 digit pin number  from the irs

How can I retrieve my pin for stimulus

I had the same issue and here is the solution. You cannot find your 5 digits filing pin right? This is the only solution that will help you.

You can never find your 5 digits filing code if you don't remember and your tax return will keep rejecting no matter how many times you submit it for filing.

If you have an online IRS account that will help you resolve this issue quickly. To solve this issue you can override the 5 digits filing code by creating a 6 digits IP Pin. To create an IP pin click on the link and enter your ID and password. https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin 

Your IP pin will be created automatically as soon as you login into your IRS account.

After creating an IP Pin, enter it in Turbo tax in the IP pin section. while for the 5 digits filing you can use any 5 digits this time you want except all zeros.

Remember, an IP pin is used for fraud protection. So you will need to keep the 6 digits IP pin safe and it must be entered on all future tax returns. IRS won't accept future tax returns without entering your IP PIN.

How do I find out my 5 digit code from last year they want me to put in 

Where do you need to enter it?  Efiling is closed.  You have to print and mail your return now.

BOODAVID17
Returning Member

I need my 5 digit code for my 2019 tax returns

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don't really need the PIN you used last year; you can make up a new one.

For purposes of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year, or you create a new one to use.  It doesn't matter, so you don't need to find the PIN you used last year. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select... for more information.

The IRS requires this information to help verify your identity.

@JohnW152 wrote:

You don't really need the PIN you used last year; you can make up a new one.

For purposes of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year, or you create a new one to use.  It doesn't matter, so you don't need to find the PIN you used last year. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select... for more information.

The IRS requires this information to help verify your identity.

I don't understand this answer.

The new Turbotax FAQ you link to implies that the taxpayer can just select a new PIN.  This conflicts with this Turbotax blog post

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/why-the-irs-discontinued-the-e-file-pin-and-what...

and this IRS page

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/electronic-filing-pin-request

Basically speaking, the first time you e-file, you select your own 5 digit PIN.  Every year after that, you use the same 5 digit PIN, or you can use your adjusted gross income (AGI) from the previous year.  I am not aware that the IRS allows you to select a new self-selected 5 digit PIN. 

If you file using the same Turbotax account as the year before, it will automatically carry over your self-selected PIN or your AGI.  Your self-selected PIN will also be in one of the hidden program worksheets that is part of your tax data file, but you need Turbotax installed on your own computer to be able to access the worksheet.  Your AGI from last tax season is printed on your tax return, or you can retrieve your transcript from the IRS. 

I didn't receive my identify protection pin to file my taxes how can I find it or how can I file my taxes without it

jkimeyers
Returning Member

My  Pin no.  for 2019 was [removed]. What is for 2020?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, they’re the same. You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use. It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or adjusted gross income (AGI).

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for additional information:

Note: You can't change either of these.  The IP Pin is issued by the IRS and the Self-Select Pin is a pin you create each year when you e-file.  

I need my 5 digit code number from last year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies