Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i update my 2020 tax return in turbo tax for which i paid, but didn't file using turbo tax due to its complicated nature. Aim is to use this data for 2021 filing

I already have a prepped 2020 tax return in turbo tax which i paid for, but i did not use turbo tax to file, rather i had to use outside Tax Attorney to file my 2020 taxes. How i can use that filed 2020 pdf to update my turbo tax saved 2020 file, so i can continue using turbotax to file my 2021 taxes with accurate and updated previous record?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can i update my 2020 tax return in turbo tax for which i paid, but didn't file using turbo tax due to its complicated nature. Aim is to use this data for 2021 filing

If you want to get the 2020 return to look like the what was filed  then you can make the changes you want then when it is complete save the return .tax2020 file which will be used to transfer to the 2021 program.  Do not make the transfer until the 2020 return is complete. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

you can get your 2020 return onto your hard drive for import, but you cannot update it with a PDF of a 2020 tax return.

you'll have to  add any carry-forwards manually as you do 2021 tax return.

If you want to get the 2020 return to look like the what was filed  then you can make the changes you want then when it is complete save the return .tax2020 file which will be used to transfer to the 2021 program.  Do not make the transfer until the 2020 return is complete. 

If you did 2020 in the Online version you will have to move it to the Desktop program if you want to finish or update it.   If you need to update it to match your filed 2020 return you will not be able to fix or store it online.   

Hi Critter-3,

I got your answer and it makes sense, now, how i can use my filed 2020 pdf (filed outside turbotax) to covert to .tax2020 file in turbo tax? So i can use it to file my 2021 taxes here, this could be more than one step procedure, but if i will know how to get it done, it will help. Thanks.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can only transfer a PDF of your 2020 tax return prepared by an attorney if they used TurboTax, H&R Block or TaxAct.

If so, you can transfer your PDF into the 2020 TurboTax Desktop program.  Click this link for info on How to Transfer a PDF Into TurboTax Desktop.

Otherwise, you will have to open 2020 TurboTax Desktop and type in the data from your PDF forms into the FORMS in TurboTax. 

Then, as @Critter-3 instructed, save your new TurboTax 2020 return to your computer (it  will be a .tax2020 file).

If you use TurboTax Desktop again (download or CD) when you open it to start your 2021 return, it will find the .tax2020 file on your computer and transfer it for you. 

If you decide to use TurboTax Online for 2021, click this link for info on How do I transfer last year's return into TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies