How can I fix the Transmission Error: Duplicate SS...

How can I fix the Transmission Error: Duplicate SSN error

If the IRS is saying another tax return has already been efiled using your SSN, there are at least two possibilities.

1. Someone fraudulently or mistakenly filed a return using your SSN.

2. You used the non filer portal to register for a stimulus payment and a return was efiled for you with $0 income in order for you to be registered. That portal was only to be used by persons not filing a tax return.

In either case, you will have to print and mail a tax return to get it accepted. The proper way to do it is for you to prepare, print and mail an amended return for 1040X that has the correct data for your return. Some have suggested that all you need to do is prepare the "real" 1040 and write "Amended Return" across the top of the form before mailing it. 

If you received this error, check all Social Security numbers in your return against their Social Security cards. You can do this by selecting the Personal Info tab and going through these screens again.

• If you come across any inaccurate entries, correct them and then try e-filing again.

If all Social Security numbers are correct, you will have to print and mail your return.  Another return has been filed using your Social Security number.

If you filed using the non filer portal on TurboTax or the IRS to register for the stimulus payment a tax return was e-filed with 0 income.

So the IRS already has a tax return with your SSN. 

That portal was for use by non filers only.

Isn't that $0 for a 2018 non filer not a new 2019 though?

The nonfiler form created a 2019 tax return for individuals who submitted it. 

These individuals are not able to subsequently file a 2019 tax return electronically, because one is already on file in their name.  The tax return will need to be printed and mailed in.

@bwighty1

I owe money on my tax return and used non filers for my stimulus check. Since I have to mail in my 2019 return, Can I process my tax refund payment online through TurboTax Or  do I have to write a check and send it w my amended return?

You can't pay electronically through TurboTax since you can't file electronically.  However, if you prefer to pay electronically you can do so here: IRS Payments.

@Banana1494

@Banana1494 Look at your tax return--your Form 1040---to see how much you need to pay the IRS.  Your 2019 federal tax due is on line 23.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

"So how exactly am I suppose to pay my rats refund amount"

What?  Your rat?  Huh?  Rats do not receive tax refunds.

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone...

If you are going to file by mail, your mailing instructions will print out with your tax return, along with the address to use for mailing.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

Federal and state returns must be mailed separately and go to different addresses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

If you mail your tax return and enclose a check or money order, as long as you mail it by the July 15, 2020 deadline, you are fine, even if the IRS does not open the envelope for awhile.  You just need for the payment envelope to be postmarked by the deadline.  Use a mailing service that will track it, like certified mail so you know it got there.

The $60 you paid for TurboTax was for using the software.  The fee is the same whether you e-file or mail it in an envelope.  But---why can you not e-file?  Why do you "have" to file by mail?  

NOTE:  User edited question and removed post after receiving reply.