Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I fix the Transmission Error: Duplicate SSN error

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

If the IRS is saying another tax return has already been efiled using your SSN, there are at least two possibilities.

1. Someone fraudulently or mistakenly filed a return using your SSN.

2. You used the non filer portal to register for a stimulus payment and a return was efiled for you with $0 income in order for you to be registered. That portal was only to be used by persons not filing a tax return.

In either case, you will have to print and mail a tax return to get it accepted. The proper way to do it is for you to prepare, print and mail an amended return for 1040X that has the correct data for your return. Some have suggested that all you need to do is prepare the "real" 1040 and write "Amended Return" across the top of the form before mailing it. 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you received this error, check all Social Security numbers in your return against their Social Security cards. You can do this by selecting the Personal Info tab and going through these screens again.

• If you come across any inaccurate entries, correct them and then try e-filing again.

If all Social Security numbers are correct, you will have to print and mail your return.  Another return has been filed using your Social Security number.

If you filed using the non filer portal on TurboTax or the IRS to register for the stimulus payment a tax return was e-filed with 0 income.

So the IRS already has a tax return with your SSN. 

That portal was for use by non filers only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Isn't that $0 for a 2018 non filer not a new 2019 though?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The nonfiler form created a 2019 tax return for individuals who submitted it. 

These individuals are not able to subsequently file a 2019 tax return electronically, because one is already on file in their name.  The tax return will need to be printed and mailed in.

@bwighty1

I owe money on my tax return and used non filers for my stimulus check. Since I have to mail in my 2019 return, Can I process my tax refund payment online through TurboTax Or  do I have to write a check and send it w my amended return?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can't pay electronically through TurboTax since you can't file electronically.  However, if you prefer to pay electronically you can do so here: IRS Payments.

@Banana1494

@Banana1494 Look at your tax return--your Form 1040---to see how much you need to pay the IRS.  Your 2019 federal tax due is on line 23.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

"So how exactly am I suppose to pay my rats refund amount"

What?  Your rat?  Huh?  Rats do not receive tax refunds.

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone...

If you are going to file by mail, your mailing instructions will print out with your tax return, along with the address to use for mailing.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

Federal and state returns must be mailed separately and go to different addresses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

If you mail your tax return and enclose a check or money order, as long as you mail it by the July 15, 2020 deadline, you are fine, even if the IRS does not open the envelope for awhile.  You just need for the payment envelope to be postmarked by the deadline.  Use a mailing service that will track it, like certified mail so you know it got there.

The $60 you paid for TurboTax was for using the software.  The fee is the same whether you e-file or mail it in an envelope.  But---why can you not e-file?  Why do you "have" to file by mail?  

NOTE:  User edited question and removed post after receiving reply.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

IRS Tax filing: Duplicate SSN issue/problem. We just faced this problem, few hours ago and panicked. We tried submitting a few times, and kept getting the same message, that
already someone else had filed a tax return, using the same SSN. However, we tried transmitting again after a half an hour, and to
our luck, it transmitted successfully with no errors. So, we think that this could be a software glitch or transmission glitch from
Turbo tax. I highly recommend you keep trying to submit, even if you get an error message, initially. Good luck!

DV1958

So, I did my taxes early for the 2021 tax year - the IRS is not accepting returns until next week, yet I get the Duplicate SSN error message as if someone else has already filed taxes for the 2021 tax year under my social security number when I try to efile.  If the IRS was accepted taxes yet, I'd be worried about fraud.  But as the IRS isn't accepting them yet (that TurboTax is just holding them to file next week), I'm wondering if this is a TurboTax error.

The IRS does accept a small test batch early----so it is a possibility that someone filed and was accepted using a SSN that is on your return.   Try again after the 24th and see what happens.   If it still rejects then you are going to have to print, sign and mail your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for information on why you may be receiving this error: Error: "Your transmission didn't go through due to duplicate Social Security number"

However, since the IRS has not started accepting returns yet, please wait until January 24, 2022, to see if you are still getting the same error message. If you are still having issues at that time, please reach out to Customer Support via this link

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies