turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mt0624

How can deactivate or remove my turbo tax account.

So i want delete all info including ssn and credit card
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax accounts cannot be deleted.  You can clear any tax data you entered on the 2017 tax return by clicking on Tax Tools and then Clear & Start Over with the 2017 return accessed.

You can remove or change information in your TurboTax account by clicking Intuit Account at the top of the online program screen after signing onto the account.  Click on Account Settings.  Edit any information in both Profile and Security.

To deactivate an account you will need to contact TurboTax support for the procedure.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

View solution in original post

35 Replies

TurboTax accounts cannot be deleted.  You can clear any tax data you entered on the 2017 tax return by clicking on Tax Tools and then Clear & Start Over with the 2017 return accessed.

You can remove or change information in your TurboTax account by clicking Intuit Account at the top of the online program screen after signing onto the account.  Click on Account Settings.  Edit any information in both Profile and Security.

To deactivate an account you will need to contact TurboTax support for the procedure.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

oakblade_

I feel this violates my human rights if I can't delete my account! It seems unfair and wrong. Shame on you Turbotax. Oh and I get it , you are just trying to protect me.. But that is too far too much.

Federal IRS recorded retention laws involving anything to do with tax information must be kept for a minimum of 3 years by any tax service.  It is in the Federal requirements for e-file providers.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
oakblade_

I am in Canada and I only created an account but never uploaded any information before choosing a different option. this is why I feel it is unfair.
oakblade_

If I have not actually entered any information then there should be an allowance to remove my account to avoid being advertised to unfairly by Turbotax. Hence the reference about my rights. it should be easy to verify that no sensitive information was provided and that information alone can be kept on record for the three years if indeed the Canada Revenue Agency has similar requirements to the U.S. counterpart.

If you have not paid or registered then as pointed out above you can clear all of your personal information. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526 This is the US TurboTax forum, not Canada. If you are asking about a Canadian tax return you are in the wrong group. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
oakblade_

Then the heart of the problem appears to be I have accidentally created a U.S. Turbotax account as my login info is required to post these comments. So I am not in the wrong group after all to seek answers , but Turbo tax has made it quite confusing to choose the appropriate option regarding country of residence . Luckily I did not provide any sensitive Information to be cleared but it does bolster my argument that I should have the right to leave the service and the right to terminate the account. There should be no U.S. Federal requirements for a Canadians records to retained for three years even if it just my address and login info.

As pointed out in the answer above - only customer support can deactivate an account.
ctcon27

Always promoting free but always have to pay until I tried another service and guess what...Free.
bmetty

That I can't delete my account... or deactivate it, even though I've cleared my info, is just wrong.  And, your customer service is quite lacking and unprofessional.  It's a shame.

An account that has been registered or paid for and a tax return could have been printed from must be preserved per IRS record retention regulations and cannot be deleted.

It is wrong. They are basically selling your information, see the EULA:

5. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. You can view Intuit’s Privacy Statement provided with the Services and on the website for the Services. You agree to the applicable Intuit Privacy Statement and any changes published by Intuit. You agree that Intuit may use and maintain your data according to the Intuit Privacy Statement, as part of the Services.  This means that Intuit may use your data to improve the Services or to design promotions and to develop new products or services. Intuit is a global company and may access or store personal information in multiple countries, including countries outside of your own country to the extent permitted by applicable law.

Other similar, and in my opinion better services do not charge for the preparation / filing and do allow you to delete your account if that is what you want, although they make keep some of the data even then. They know most people will not bother with the hassle of calling to delete your account, hence the reason they make you do it.  Nothing purported as free is actually free.  You are paying for it somehow. This post has been deleted once already, if it happens again I will wall paper it around the internet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I use another service for three consecutive tax returns, TurboTax will agree to delete my account and all associated records? Or is this merely an excuse for data-invasive practices?

Relatedly, I have found it impossible to delete my Turbo account.  Is there a federal data retention requirement to justify the obstacles to wiping information about my credit cards and student loans from other Intuit apps? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

To deactivate (delete) your TurboTax Online account:

First contact us, click here - Contact Us.

Then fill out and complete this form - Account Deactivation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies