turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I live abroad and have never received a W-2 form. How can I submit my tax-forms?

I also don't have a tax-number (yet). Only a Social-Security Number.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Hi, I live abroad and have never received a W-2 form. How can I submit my tax-forms?

You only need a Social Security number to complete and file a US tax return.  If you do not have a W-2 for your earned income then do not complete the W-2 section of the program.

To enter Foreign Earned Income -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Or enter 2555, foreign income in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to 2555, foreign income

Also, see this IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

sky759

What if we did work in the US for part of the year and should receive a W2, but are abroad?

@sky759 If you "should" receive a W-2 for work performed in the U.S. then contact that employer by email, snail mail, or a phone call and make sure the employer knows where to mail your W-2.  They have until January 31 to send it, so you both have plenty of time to sort out how you can get your 2022 W-2 from them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sky759

Thanks! I will try, though they refused to pay me properly for three years, so I will have to hope that they follow through on this.

@sky759 We do not know what you mean when you say they refused to pay you "properly."   Were you an independent contractor, or were you an employee?   Was tax being withheld from your wages?  Did they withhold Social Security and Medicare?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies