turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone had trouble linking their Stash investment account to Turbo Tax? The instructions are simple but it wont work for me.

I dont know how many different ways I can enter my Account Number from Stash. I am following their instructions here (https://ask.stash.com/ask/turbotax-direct-import/). I am NOT typing in hyphens on the account number nor my social security number. Also I have tried it with the hyphens because im pulling my hair out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Has anyone had trouble linking their Stash investment account to Turbo Tax? The instructions are simple but it wont work for me.

Stash is not one of our import partners. You will not be able to import your files. Instead, you can manually type in a summary. You can enter 4 lines and cover the entire form.

Enter the totals for each:

• short term covered
  • short term non-covered
  • long term covered
  • long term non-covered

When you enter summary data only,  you are required to send a copy of your 1099B to the IRS. Once you submit your electronic copy, TurboTax prints out a cover letter and instructions on where to send a copy of your 1099B.

Here's where you enter your 1099-B in TurboTax:

1. Open (or continue) your return if it isn't already open
  2. Select the magnifying glass, search for 1099-B and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2021?
    • If you see Your investment sales summary, select Add More Sales
  4. On the OK, let's start with one investment type screen, select the category that applies to your situation and Continue
  5. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  6. At Let's get your tax info, choose to type it in yourself
  7. Answer the questions about your 1099-B

Form 1099-B is included in TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, Self-Employed, and TurboTax Live Self-Employed (online) and in all personal CD/Download versions of TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That can't be true. I'm not sure your response makes any sense
Why would it show up in your import tool as an option?

And then when you pick Stash as an import option why would the bottom of your website have links to the Stash website about how to import?
(attached a photo of being able to choose stash and the instructions to stash and a link to stash at the bottom)

And then why would Stash have an entire how-to section on their site? Infact the only reason I signed up for TurboTax is because Stash keeps telling me they have a special partnership with Turbo Tax
Heres the link to the stash how to:
https://ask.stash.com/ask/turbotax-direct-import/
tt_stash.png

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Be sure that you are only entering the first 8 digits for your Stash account number.  The examples given show that the account number is actually more than 8 digits not including hyphens.  

If the import does not work, you do have the option of entering your information manually.  

@birderboone

This is a major issue. TurboTax even states on its website that it is a partner with Stash. (It lists Stash and Apex as connecting partners) but in the Stash community on Facebook there are dozens of complaints about this issue. Unacceptable. TurboTax has no REAL answer. I contacted Stash which says its IT department is looking into it. So far..  a disappointment 

TurboTax states clearly there is a partnership, but the import feature doesn't work at all. I am very familiar with a lot of different tools and I am quite sure the link between them is failing but neither Stash nor TurboTax want to fix it. The advertising of Stash as a partner should be removed because it is claiming something that is not true.

Importing manually from Stash is terrible, because they have the worst 1099 format that I've ever seen. It is confusing and it doesn't match sections that TurboTax requires (such as Section 14 which Stash does not print out as a part of the 1099).

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@MaxRios 

HC_79

This is ridiculous!  It's 2024 and this feature still isn't working.  It never recognizes your account number from STASH.  At what point does Turbotax actually fix the issue or just remove STASH from the automatic import list.  

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Were you able to solve your issue? 

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

moonmuse

I have also tried every combination to get my info imported. it says at the bottom 8 digits. So i erased the last few, the beginning and with dashes and without. Just as lost as you are. Hope this gets fixed soon. Literally added an hour and a half to my filing bc i wanted to make sure i did it right. 

moonmuse

I also had the same issue last year and just gave up

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies