Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed online for free last year and I bought the Deluxe this year but it will not import the old data to the cd version like the online version. Can this be done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed online for free last year and I bought the Deluxe this year but it will not import the old data to the cd version like the online version. Can this be done?

So you purchased desktop software for 2018?

You can get the 2017 data into the 2018 return.   I will tell you a couple of ways one might approach this.

If you used Free Edition last year, however, the *.tax2017 will likely be locked.   Here's a way to get the 2017 data into a 2018 tax file, which is to start a 2018 online return just long enough for it transfer 2017 data into the online 2018 return.  Then one could download the *.tax2018 and OPEN it in the 2018 desktop software.   To use that method, see this FAQ and choose the "transfer from online" instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-2018-turbotax-for-windows

Or here's another method.  You can download your *.tax2017 data file from your online account once you unlock it as I explain in this paragraph.   Then, when you start a new 2018 return in your desktop Deluxe software, you can have the program transfer-in the information from the 2017 data file.   But with this method you would need to first phone TurboTax Support and tell them of your 2018 software purchase and ask them to unlock your prior returns.  I would probably try this second method, since it will automatically give you access to all your prior online returns until the end of October (possibly of 2020, but I'm not sure, could be 2019 in this circumstance.)  But in any case you can get the 2017 data file to use for this purpose.  

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

View solution in original post

4 Replies

So you purchased desktop software for 2018?

You can get the 2017 data into the 2018 return.   I will tell you a couple of ways one might approach this.

If you used Free Edition last year, however, the *.tax2017 will likely be locked.   Here's a way to get the 2017 data into a 2018 tax file, which is to start a 2018 online return just long enough for it transfer 2017 data into the online 2018 return.  Then one could download the *.tax2018 and OPEN it in the 2018 desktop software.   To use that method, see this FAQ and choose the "transfer from online" instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-2018-turbotax-for-windows

Or here's another method.  You can download your *.tax2017 data file from your online account once you unlock it as I explain in this paragraph.   Then, when you start a new 2018 return in your desktop Deluxe software, you can have the program transfer-in the information from the 2017 data file.   But with this method you would need to first phone TurboTax Support and tell them of your 2018 software purchase and ask them to unlock your prior returns.  I would probably try this second method, since it will automatically give you access to all your prior online returns until the end of October (possibly of 2020, but I'm not sure, could be 2019 in this circumstance.)  But in any case you can get the 2017 data file to use for this purpose.  

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

@browniegirl2017
I've revised a few things in the above answer and also tried to clarify some things.   If you were emailed the original answer, please return to the forum to see the revisions and clarifications.

The second worked great and got me up and running and filing already. Thanks for the help

Great!  I'm glad they were willing to work with you on that.  Good luck.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies